200 Gallon Ponds Build and Aeration Question

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Ok I am starting a new pond build. My father and I are building 2 ponds in parallel based on the success of my 2000 gallon pond. We both want small ponds on our patios and have a really good design that should be very cost effective. Each pond is only about 200 gallons, but the pumps we have are 900 GPH. Our current plan is to make “silent ponds”, meaning we don’t want a waterfall. Here is the filter we plan on using: http://www.mvwgs.org/filter.htm.

This is super simple, no plumbing outside the pond and outlet of the pond will be place in a way that the water will run in a vortex keeping a lot of water circulation. It will have a pretty strong current. However here is the question…. Is circulating water Aeration? I have read that aeration occurs with any surface area, but I have also been told, it requires breaking water, such as an air stone or a waterfall. Thoughts, suggestions, or just general comments? What is your thoughts on the idea?

Oh also, I want to skip the cycle process if it possible. My goal is to remove a percentage of my filter media from my current pond, as well as use the lava rock out of my filter. I will also be backwashing my pond water into the new pond, and transplanting plants from my mature bog to the new pond. All in hopes to minimize the cycle. Is this possible, or am I just hoping?? I hate green water!! Lol!

THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS. MORE IS BETTER.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi: Good project! Please show us pics when done!
1) I actually don't like the look of that filter because it's gonna be very difficult to clean the pads. Every time you clean them, you're gonna need to take out everything.
2) And sorry, I don't like that pump either. I used to have that type of pump, but now I prefer one with a tube inlet so I can attach a pre-filter to it, one that will be easy to clean. And I think a 900g will be too much, too much turbulence.
3) Aeration is not the same as circulation. It has been said here that a pond's surface is the greatest source of air exchange. I love extra aeration. If it's on your patio, it would be easy to add an air pump with a bubbler hose in the pond. It depends on how much fish you keep.
4) In my aquarium, my current set up is a PVC pipe leading up to the pump and the PVC pipe is filled with K2.
5) If you want a silent pond, may I suggest a different pump, one with inlet and outlet, like this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23512
Attach a pre-filter to it for mechanical filtration, will be easy to clean.
For bio-filtration, I'd just stick a large diameter PVC pipe to the outlet and fill it with media (K2 or bioballs.)
It'll all be underwater.

Of you can just buy something like this:
http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/filters/plomaxmiounderfilt.php?link=155
And this will all be underwater too.

For a 200g pond, I think it'll be simpler to buy one than to build that monstrous filter!

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I used an eheim pump, a spare from my salt water reef tank. Super quiet and built to last... may be a good choice in your configuration.

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Hey John H.

Thanks for the input. I will try to recap for clairity. http://www.total-pond.com/index.php/products/viewProduct/110

JohnHuff said:
Hi: Good project! Please show us pics when done!
1) I actually don't like the look of that filter because it's gonna be very difficult to clean the pads. Every time you clean them, you're gonna need to take out everything.
2) And sorry, I don't like that pump either. I used to have that type of pump, but now I prefer one with a tube inlet so I can attach a pre-filter to it, one that will be easy to clean. And I think a 900g will be too much, too much turbulence.
3) Aeration is not the same as circulation. It has been said here that a pond's surface is the greatest source of air exchange. I love extra aeration. If it's on your patio, it would be easy to add an air pump with a bubbler hose in the pond. It depends on how much fish you keep.
4) In my aquarium, my current set up is a PVC pipe leading up to the pump and the PVC pipe is filled with K2.
5) If you want a silent pond, may I suggest a different pump, one with inlet and outlet, like this:

For a 200g pond, I think it'll be simpler to buy one than to build that monstrous filter!

1. I kind of disagree. Unless I have really missed something in the past this would be the easiest filter to clean. Pull the basket, dump everything in to a wheel barrel. Drop the pump back into the pond and use the hose to spray the crap out of the rocks and filter, place the pads back in (most likely replace some) put the pump back in, fill the basket back up with the rocks and place back into the pond.

2. Out of necessity and due to the fact that we already own these pumps from previous projects, these are the pumps we have. http://www.total-pond.com/index.php/products/viewProduct/110 very quiet and have proved very reliable.

3. I believe I will be adding an airpump and a 12" air stone. I like bubbles anyways. :)

4. I like this idea, I used the same idea for my mini bog. Might consider it if I do end up with a different pump.

5. Refer to Item #2. lol

6. Size of filter. Really? A milk crate seems huge? When we bought the pumps they came with pressurized filters that were much bigger. I looked at the link you sent, I think that one was even a bigger foot print as the milk crate, but you still had the pump in there. I loved the idea of putting the pump inside the filter rather than having a filter and a pump seperatly.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I circulate my water with a extra hose off the pump and a ball valve and i really think it helps I have one at the top of the water and on the bottom .Helps keep stuff from building up on the bottom .Been 3 years doing it that way
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:58108]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:58107]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:58106]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Only thing is did you check watts of power the pump uses .I know that is one of the main things I look at and second is length of power cord and then I look for feed back like customer reveiws and then double check consumer reports sight for ratings on everything .They really do great tests on pond pumps and are really a good source of info .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi GreatDanesDad!

OK, if you think that "Pull the basket, dump everything in to a wheel barrel. Drop the pump back into the pond and use the hose to spray the crap out of the rocks and filter, place the pads back in (most likely replace some) put the pump back in, fill the basket back up with the rocks and place back into the pond." is easy, then go for it!

Over time, I've gotten lazier and lazier. I used to have that type of pump and had mats and a frame over it and I hated to pull the whole thing out and dissemble it. During the bioactive season I needed to pull that thing out at least once a week and it got to be a real pain! I now just pull the pre-filters out rinse and put back in, a much great savings in time and grief.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had prefilters in pumps and found every day or every other day I was pulling them out to clean them and with the pump hanging now from a pipe across my pond seems i don't have to pull it out and it has no perefilter I have it hanging just a foot under the water and have it plugged into a float switch from a sump pump and if water gets low pump gets turned off .I have liner around both filters with an over flow out let on the back and a pipe off it that way any water from there goes right back into the pond and all my hoses are run inside the water fall and if they leak it runs right back in also .I wrapped them in that foam hose pipe insulation also .Helps keep them from freezing .I just got tired of worrying if and when my pond was going to loose water .Did all that 3 years ago after the bad 2010 winter scared me .

Ask a Question