4 acre pond and Lillypads

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love the look of Lillypad in a pond but a bit nervous about them taking over. Can I get some pros and cons advice on if I should do it or not?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They will grow down to around a four foot deep area, the 20 foot deep area will stay lily free.
What do natural ponds look like in your area? do lilies take over?
Shallow ponds here get lily covered. OW the lilies just stay in the shallow if the pond has a deep area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is from today it is a S shaped pond
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some of the hybrid Water Lilies will only tolerate an 18" depth. Specie Water Lilies can tolerate depths up to 9 feet given good water clarity.
Any aquatic plant in a earthen-bottom pond will spread over time. The rate of spread is determined by the specie of plant, the variety of the plant, length of growing season, and nutrient levels in the water.
Check on-line with any of the Aquatic Plant nurseries for particular planting depths for Water Lily varieties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love the look of Lillypad in a pond but a bit nervous about them taking over. Can I get some pros and cons advice on if I should do it or not?
That was a concern for me as well. I have 3 clusters of hardy lilies. They maxed out at about 10 feet across. My pond is about 15 feet deep. They won't venture past a depth of about 4 to 5 feet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been very careful about making sure I do not get koi babies in that pond. It has a outlet that makes it to another about a mile Down the road. Sure the people who own it would not like non native fish. My big pond has bass, Croppie , catfish and brim.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have been very careful about making sure I do not get koi babies in that pond. It has a outlet that makes it to another about a mile Down the road. Sure the people who own it would not like non native fish. My big pond has bass, Croppie , catfish and brim.
I'm glad I don't have a problem cause my (imaginary) 4 acre pond, has no outlet!:sneaky:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i said same to her few weeks back lol its a dream pond , well i wud have a freshwater whale in it
You're way braver than me, I would never keep a pet that, you know, can decide at some point to eat me :ROFLMAO:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know my neighbors lilies just float in the pond and they grow great .She never planted them she just threw them in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
You're way braver than me, I would never keep a pet that, you know, can decide at some point to eat me :ROFLMAO:
no dont worry u never die in a dream and freshwater whales dont exist in reality

Ask a Question