55 Gallon barrel downflow filter...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Made a cheap 55 gal downflow submerged media filter. adding to my basement pond filtration. its got a 1&1/4" hose fitting into 1&1/2" pvc conduit bulkhead. (electrical piping). this will be plumbed inline (series) after my bead filter. (pool sand filter I converted).

O.K ..the build... some of the stuff I already had. like the 3" pipe, the 1&1/2" pipe and the 90*s. the sweeping elbow on the output is 2&1/2" underground electrical conduit. you know, its funny how Lowes carries all the 2&1/2" elbows, couplers, bulkheads, etc... but they don't carry the 2&1/2" pipe... had a guy check, its not even in the computer. so I had to heat the female end of the sweeping elbow and thread the male end of a bulkhead into it.
so the water will enter via the 1&1/4" hose, thru the little assembly and swirl around the barrel wall. it will flow down thru the media. and back up thru the 3"- "up pipe", 2&1/2" elbow, and out.
input...
002.JPG

003.JPG

there are two "O" rings, one inside the barrel. one outside. and I cut the holes slightly smaller than the threads of the bulk heads and dremeled a slight bevel to them. I heated them with a heat gun and screwed the bulkhead thru the barrel.. they are rock solid.

output ... done the same as input, but with 2&1/2" bulkhead.
004.JPG

should easily handle the 1200 gph i'll be putting thru it.
now heres where the water will enter the output plumbing...
009.JPG

that's an about 12"- 14" dehydrator rack with about 1" wall. so the grid has about 1" of lift from the barrel floor.
the 3" pipe sets on top. (firmly pinching it in place)
better inside pic...
012.JPG

haven't decided on media..i have 3 bags of lava rock. $10.00 will get 3 more. so that's likely the way i'll go.
I moved the original 55 gal skippy style to the other side and am parking this one next to it. and the 24" bead filter will be first in line...
013.JPG

this will free up the corner where everything sat before.
the bead filter...
014.JPG
sorry-crappy pic. ..and there is still room for my 55 gal water change barrel. i'll finish tomorrow.
thanks for lookin' in... hope it helps someone out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I lowered my pond water today and caught about 25 small koi to give my neighbor . I couldn't believe how much they'd grown since last summer!

Ask a Question