6 fish died in last month

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Emgland, have not had a cold winter at all and not lost any fish. About a month ago I lost one and in the last 3 weeks have lost another 5. I have seen not obvious mRkings on them. Another one is close to going too, on his side most of the time.

My Pond is around 6/7ft by 4 ftismh and 2.5 ft deep. It was created last September. I have a stream and small waterfall. I have a filter and uv which has been running all year with the pump. Hazelock Bioforce Revolution is the make.

I took a water sample on Saturday and they tested it and said the water was perfect. They sold me some bacteria stuff, blue, put in and switched the uv filter off.

I found another dead one in the weed/alge.

What could be causing this?

I have been given all but 3 of my fish out of the same pond. First lot in .september, think 6 to join the 3 small I had bought. I then was given another 5 around Jan think it was. Then on Saturday another 5.

Some pics attached just been put to take under outside lights as dark!

Any help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 313
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Really need better daytime photos. Could you post the results of the water tests? What is the rating of your pump in GPH?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Day time pictures will help, but I'm noticing quite a bit of algae. Do you have much O2 in your pond? I'm wondering if an aerator might help? Do you have , prior tooling some, 19 fish? It might be too high a fish load for the pond / filtration etc.

I'm very sorry about the loss of your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry about your fish. Without knowing a lot it sounds like maybe there was not enough dissolved oxygen in your water for the amount of fish you have. Did you find the dead fish in the morning?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi the pond is 9ft by 6ft not as I stated before, sorry.
The fish started dying before the new ones on Saturday had been introduced.
They said the water was perfect with all readings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 275
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 291
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No sprayings no.

I am wondering if it is a la k of oxygen but wouldn't that show on the water test?
The pond is a lot fuller this am due to,rain and Therefore lots more bubbles which I have just seen the fish by and noticed this before. I do have plants but maybe they have died over the winter. I will go to my uncles and get some morre as the shops in England do not store pond plants yet.

Oh dear if I hVe been stRving the fish of oxygen I feel awful. I will also,remove the rock which the waterfall drops,onto and let it run directly into the water.

What do,I do about the algae? Someone mentioned got too much, this has appeared over the winter

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
One thing I have picked up on is that your pond isnt all that clean Rach can you tell me when you did a waterchange on the pond and also when you last cleaned your filters please......but sorry Rach I've overstepped my knowledge of shallow ponds and cold weather so perhaps @Lisak1 can help you she knows more than I or so I've been told more than once or twice this last week on no uncertain terms and underlined to boot so I'll leave you in her capable hands
@Lisak1 Rach is all yours

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave what do,you mean by not clean?
The water is crystal clear, I clean the filter on a regular basis even though told only need to do few times a year. The water gets changed then as cleaning the filter takes lots of water out and it is topped up naturally by rain water.

There is allot of I presume dead algae and I clear that off the surface with a net. Do I need to get off the bottom too?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Had you worried LisdaK1 but I'm not that type of person I do however hate people doing what you were doing s please stop underlining or making the lettering larger once is seen as making a point repeterdly doing so seen as shouting in internet circles, please by all means PM me or take it up with the powers that be but otherwise try to by civvil as I am with you and everyone else on the forum
Rach Water can indeed be cystal clear but deadly to your fish, what perameters did you get the shop to read ?
You should al;ways clean your pond thuroughly proir to going into winter along with yur filter, you should do another pond clean as the water warms up again in the spring.once in the summer and one more time prior to late autumn the same goes fr your filters
Did you QT the fish you put in prior to them going in ?
Rach your breaking half the rules in the book here they need to be QT'd for a period onf 6-8 weeks

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The term "perfect water conditions" means different things to different people. We really need to know what the actual numbers were for the various tests.
...and no, dissolved oxygen is not a usual test that is performed.

With all the algae you have and you say you are pulling out dead algae, I would guess right now that you have low dissolved oxygen levels during the night.
The best thing you can do for now is to continue to pull out any excess algae you find and increase water circulation/aeration during the night.
In the meantime, it would really help to know what the actual water test measurements are that you had done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Had you worried LisdaK1 but I'm not that type of person I do however hate people doing what you were doing s please stop underlining or making the lettering larger once is seen as making a point repeterdly doing so seen as shouting in internet circles, please by all means PM me or take it up with the powers that be but otherwise try to by civvil as I am with you and everyone else on the forum

Hmmmm... I specifically said I didn't know why my fonts got larger on that post . It was not my intent to appear as if I were yelling - totally not my style. Underlining is only for emphasis. I am sorry that you were offended. My apologies to you @Dave 54 .

(sorry to the OP - this is in reference to another post).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Back to my original question - @Rach did you say you've added new fish several times recently?

EDIT: Never mind - just saw where you said the fish had started dying before you added new fish. Sorry!

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No sprayings no.

I am wondering if it is a la k of oxygen but wouldn't that show on the water test?
The pond is a lot fuller this am due to,rain and Therefore lots more bubbles which I have just seen the fish by and noticed this before. I do have plants but maybe they have died over the winter. I will go to my uncles and get some morre as the shops in England do not store pond plants yet.

Oh dear if I hVe been stRving the fish of oxygen I feel awful. I will also,remove the rock which the waterfall drops,onto and let it run directly into the water.

What do,I do about the algae? Someone mentioned got too much, this has appeared over the winter

Thanks

It might be advisable to purchase a Dissolved Oxygen test kit. They are good to have on hand as would be a set of standard parameter test kits.

That being said, I am assuming, from the photos, that all of your fish were Goldfish. If this is so, low Oxygen is not likely the cause of this mortality incident. Goldfish are notoriously known for being able to survive in water with extremely low Oxygen levels for extended periods of time. As MitchM pointed out, the actual numeric values of the test results would be very helpful.

Ask a Question