A New Heron

Reaction score
Yup, a new Green Heron popped up a few weeks back. He's been checking out my front ponds, but they are netted so he didn't have any luck there. My large pond in the back, was not netted. I had been enjoying a break from the Green Heron after our dog chased the last one into a chain link fence and he died. So the large pond was un-netted.

Tonight he was super aggressive, I was sitting there yapping on the phone and he just walked right up to the pond. I threw a rock, he flew off and then came right back. He's obviously been snacking there and knows I have some Grade A Sashimi.

I quickly put up the new net tonight. It looks terrible right now, I need to trim it and fix it properly but my fish are safe for now. The other good news, which surprised me, the net is almost invisible - LOVE THAT!

I came inside and peeked out, saw the bugger land on it, which is so weird, I thought the net feel on his feet would signal danger - NOPE! He can sort of weigh it down a bit, but the holes in the net are too small for him to fish properly. He might spare a fish, but he can't get it out. I think my big guys are smart enough to go deep. I don't think they will hang around the top with a heron perched above them. Based on the width of my pond, 18 feet in places, I don't think I can get the net tight to the point he can't weigh it down. Its about 2 feet off the water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I posted this in ashirley's thread, maybe it can help you with your net and heron fight:

With the fishing net I used, I wove a rope through the weave around the edges of the net, the width and length of the pond. The rope made it possible to pull the net tight between the fencing stakes I have it attached to. Also makes it easy to lift it off and raise or lower to work on the pond.

Not sure if that will help you or not with the type of net you have.

net-jpg.76482

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you could raise it up more it would be better. They have such long necks and you don't want him spearing your fish. That rope woven through around the edges works like a charm for strength.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Green Herons normally feed on SMALL fish and amphibians. I have not heard of adult Koi loss due to a Green Heron. It may be looking for suitable food. I have had a Green Heron visit my pond on a regular basis, but it was only 'window shopping', my fish were as big as it was.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Green Herons normally feed on SMALL fish and amphibians. I have not heard of adult Koi loss due to a Green Heron. It may be looking for suitable food. I have had a Green Heron visit my pond on a regular basis, but it was only 'window shopping', my fish were as big as it was.

Good to know about the green heron

I believe Priscilla does have small tropical fish in her pond

Reaction score
That's good to know for sure! I do have TONS, or HAD tons of the small tropical fish platy's. BUT the heron has made off with some small goldfish and koi. Bastard! To the tune of $600.00!

My neighbor has some large koi and one of hers was spared, but was too big for the bird. The fish died in the pond. She doesn't know what type of bird it was though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I know its illegal but if I saw one going after my fish he wouldn't be coming back. Ever.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just watched them via our cameras, learned the best way to protect the fish from them. Get rid of one there is always another one.

Reaction score
Today I had a HUGE egret walking around on the deck checking out the fish. Luckily its netted now. But I'm just not sure how it would support the weight of a bird that big. They are 4 feet tall! Huge!

Ask a Question