A QUICK GAME OF WHAT WILL THE KOI BE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Late last September i bought three koi fry to grow on they were only about 2 inch long and pure white, as time went on a few changes have taken place so has any one got any guesses on how these koi will eventually look?
2015-02-25 18.36.00.jpg
2015-02-25 18.35.31.jpg
2015-02-25 18.33.03.jpg
2015-02-25 18.32.01.jpg
2015-02-25 18.30.36.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You want my honest opinion mate
What you think may turn into a tancho wont I'm sorry to say, the white doitsu ogon has too much in the way of scales that are not uniform (the koi world tends to favour the leather variety nowadays), with the last koi you have the makings of a Sanke.
I can see where your coming from mate but you really need a book on Koi Appreciation the best one on the maket is by Kate McGill a former top BKKS Judge .
The book is called Koi Appreciation the first steps ISBN 18612264682 by Kate McGill this book will put you straight and in the know about koi appreciation.
When we all start out in the hobby I can garentee you mate we see future grand champions every time we go out to buy a koi sadly they dont allways turn out the way we'd like things to do, but in saying that mate its good practice for you in the art of koi keeping in that you can break your teeth on them so to speak
What Kate does is use her BKKS Judgng skills to educate your eye as to what you really need to looking for in a koi be it young or old .

Dave

DAve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 I bought these as a mixed job lot prop all hinze variety lol,
but the wife likes them sk thats ok with me,
I have orded a chagoi , a tancho kwakau from my dealer who is at the mo in Israel picking out this year's stock, he has posted me a few photos of what he has picked out for me,
I can't wait for the phone call to say slick your koi are ready for collection,
Oh and nows the time to empty your wallet lol
The fish are costing me a lot of money but im sure they will make a very nice addition to the pond,
this month im also having cctv fitted so maybe I'll rest and work alittle easier

Reaction score
No clue! I LOVE that pure white with the large scales. When you will share the after pictures??

I had a pure white that turned yellow and red

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I will post more picks when he grows a bit as for koi changing colours fantastic two koi for the price of one
I have what I thougt was a doitsu kawarku but this year has totaly changed, was a bit upset at first but now he has become quite an interesting and hansom koi I love it how they can change

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Slick mate Israeli koi have for a long time been on a par with Japanese koi there's even been an Israeli koi won grand champion at the National show part of koi appreciation is learning to read what colours will develope in your koi mostly to do with sumi or black and Hi or red .
Never buy a small koi that has an intense colouration simply because as the koi grows the colour will wash out and the koi be no good for showing (if you get into that).
You'll learn it al over time Slick this is why I always recomend buying good books about the subject , the more you read and talk about it the more you learn in the long run , This equates to the more you learn the more you yourself can pass on to about the hobby to others at a later date....thus keeping it alive for many years to come.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 thanks for that I know that red goes and black comes,
I was thinking that the small koi in the tank with the red head my turn into a sanke,
as there are dark patches appearing along its sides if so wipeee if not hay ho it only cost about £20 so no harm done lol,
the koi im importing are around the 12 inch mark ao hopefully the tancho will stay a nice tancho if not iv blown the budget but the chagoi should b a save bet iv also got a nothe kormo coming to add to the othe two ( I love koromo's)
I have just orded by phone to the dealer (couldn't resist) for the wife a doitsu hariwake, cant wait for the phone call,
he has posted on the net (face book) a video showing them getting there injections

Ask a Question