A winter's stream and pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Taken today. The date is wrong on the ip cameras. Calling for more snow and ice today into tonight

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
Hi Rob & Amy,
I really like your pond and would like to build something similar. I live in zone 5b at a 7000' elevation. I have several questions I would like to ask about your pond, but to start:

Do you shut off your pump so the stream goes dry for the winter? Are you using air to keep the holes open in the ice? How deep is your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We've decided to remove our net, as we're expecting about 9 inches of snow and zero degree temps. I think it'll be easier to keep an eye on things and make sure a hole is open this way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Rob & Amy,
I really like your pond and would like to build something similar. I live in zone 5b at a 7000' elevation. I have several questions I would like to ask about your pond, but to start:

Do you shut off your pump so the stream goes dry for the winter? Are you using air to keep the holes open in the ice? How deep is your pond?

Hi, I do shut my pumps off for the winter but I do let them run fairly late into the season (usually end of December till early January. I use 2 air stones to keep the ice open, but I put them only about 12" below the surface. My pond is 3ft deep, I would recommend minimum of 4 to 5 ft for your zone. I am in zone 6a so I am a bit warmer. If you have another other questions feel free to ask. Best of luck with your pond build.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are getting up to 12 inches tomorrow, just when I thought all was melting...........sigh........

Riftlake, I have an external pump, long stream and a bog. Once it starts to cool off here I shut things down, usually in November. The surface area of the stream and bog cools down the pond water way too much. (My bog is huge)

I went to college in Flagstaff, love that area! My youngest sister lives there.

Ask a Question