above ground swimming pool for pond

Reaction score
I have purchased a 24'x24' round above pool for my Koi fish which most are rather large. Any ideas on how to set up the new pond? I am interested in a waterfall, and probably a filter made with rocks? Any ideas on how many pumps or should there just be one large one? I thought several small ones might save on electric plus give plenty of circulation. thanks for reading this.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
better with 2 pumps and I know I had a pump go out in my first pond and I was trying to find another one on a 90+ degree day .How deep is the pond because koi don't like hot water and they need a lot of filtering they produce a lot of waste and get huge .

Reaction score
First of all thank you for the replies!
Carolyn22 how did you make your bog? also I can not figure out how to do the introductions at beginning. every time I click on it, it keeps opening up same page am I overlooking something? Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have two pumps, one runs 5 ponds and the bog filter. One (on a timer) runs the deck pond and stream.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Carolfromflorida said:
also I can not figure out how to do the introductions at beginning. every time I click on it, it keeps opening up same page am I overlooking something? Thanks!
Welcome :wave:

You are posting this in the introductions section

Reaction score
Carol -

We did not do what they have shown here on this site - we have a 2" diamater hose with holes punched into it that is buried into the pea gravel. The problem with this is that we are not using the stone in the bog to it's best advantage.

I have seen on this site where many have built plumbing into the bottom of their bogs so that the water rises up through the bog and out into the pond so that the water is filtered. If I were to do it again, I would do it in this fashion. I did do a search and cannot come up with the postings those postings or diagrams. Perhaps the owners of those posts can redirect us.

In any event - I would not have a pond without the bog filtration. It does the trick!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, now I can't find the page for introductions so I am sorry. Anyways Carolyn22 I posted a new topic about building a plant bog so hopefully you and others will see it. I think that is the way I would like to go. I hope I did it right. Lol!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/6894-bog-building/

This is some basic bog building help.

I have two 2 inch pvc pipes that run the length of my bog, slits cut into them, buried under the pea gravel. Water goes up through the gravel, the plants, waterfalls back into the pond. Keeps my water in great shape, love the lack of string algae and never have green water.

naked bog

Ask a Question