Adding to an existing pond liner

Reaction score
I have a pond with liner (I think EDPM) that is about 10 years old. It started to leak about 2 years ago, so I applied a new liner over the old one (removed the rocks around perimter and placed over new liner).

Now I can't fill the pond up because in one area about 1-2 foot long the liner has either shrunk (unlikely) or settled and it is about 3 inches below water level. Basically, I can't fill the pond all the way because the liner is too short in this spot.

I was going to just replace (or add) another liner. However, since it is only a small area, I am wondering if I can add a patch to the existing liner. I have a piece of liner I can use. The "patch" would be probably 24 inches long and 8 inches high. How would I attach this? Seam tape? Glue?

Will this be durable? I guess since the cost and effort is low, I probably would give it a try anyway if it has a chance of working.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lowes carries the tape for the liners also .Not sure if you have a lowes or home depot near you .

Reaction score
I do have a Lowe's and Home Depot near me.

Looking online, it seems like a 25' roll is around $30. That is for a 3" double sided tape. It then says I should cover it with a 6" single sided tape. Looking at the cost of the 2, I think I might just replace the whole liner. It is more work and I have to drain the pond, but Amazon has a 14x14 liner for $72 shipped. That will be foolproof.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Michael,
it would work, I have done it in my pond for my stream, you use the double sided tape at the top, then put some pl roofing sealant below that, and then cover the edge with the single sided tape (you can use 3") for that too. But you are right, the double sided tape and the single side and sealant will add up to around $50-60. You would have plenty left over, but if you can get a new liner for around the same price go for it. Only difference is that you will have to remove all the rocks where as this solution you only have to remove the rocks in this area. How big is your pond?

Reaction score
Michael,
it would work, I have done it in my pond for my stream, you use the double sided tape at the top, then put some pl roofing sealant below that, and then cover the edge with the single sided tape (you can use 3") for that too. But you are right, the double sided tape and the single side and sealant will add up to around $50-60. You would have plenty left over, but if you can get a new liner for around the same price go for it. Only difference is that you will have to remove all the rocks where as this solution you only have to remove the rocks in this area. How big is your pond?

I looked at the spot closer. The pond is basically round. The area that needs to be done is all crimpled up. There are a lot of folds. I don't think I can get it straight enough to get a good adhesion even with the pond emptied.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you could get a big enough piece of liner that goes to the bottom of the pond and put large rocks on the liner down at the bottom,all the way across it to hold it down tight to the bottom ,do you think that would work .The pressure of the water against the side of the liner may keep it sealed there .Liner always sags a couple of inches all the way round the pond after water gets in there and the bottom and the sides get pressure from the water and start to settle .

Reaction score
I have a pond with liner (I think EDPM) that is about 10 years old. It started to leak about 2 years ago, so I applied a new liner over the old one (removed the rocks around perimter and placed over new liner).

Now I can't fill the pond up because in one area about 1-2 foot long the liner has either shrunk (unlikely) or settled and it is about 3 inches below water level. Basically, I can't fill the pond all the way because the liner is too short in this spot.

I was going to just replace (or add) another liner. However, since it is only a small area, I am wondering if I can add a patch to the existing liner. I have a piece of liner I can use. The "patch" would be probably 24 inches long and 8 inches high. How would I attach this? Seam tape? Glue?

Will this be durable? I guess since the cost and effort is low, I probably would give it a try anyway if it has a chance of working.

You would be better off to replace the liner the seaming products are very expensive, We can send pond liner anywhere in the uk go to http://www.fish-fish-fish.com

Reaction score
You would be better off to replace the liner the seaming products are very expensive, We can send pond liner anywhere in the uk go to http://www.fish-fish-fish.com

Seeing as how the pond is 11 years old, I am looking for minimum cost and effort. I am thinking that I can actually make the pond slightly smaller by adding stone or dirt in the spot that is low (behind the liner). That will give me more liner to work with. I would basically be pushing the liner into the pond further. I maybe have to remove a little water to do this.

This will solve a 2nd problem of there are 2-3 rocks lining the top of the pond (hiding the liner) that keep falling in. They cannot be pulled back because there is a patio on the one side and pond on the other. Taking a way a few inches of the pond will kill 2 birds with one stone. It may not last forever, but will hold me over until I am ready to build a new pond.

Ask a Question