Advertising

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What, if any, are the forum rules about advertising -- say, someone's profile/signature is not about them or their pond, but is, well, advertising text for a company?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Seems like that would be a not so clever way to skirt forum rules.
But my question is ......what is the forum rule?

Oh, I'm not wanting to do it, but spotted something that I suspect is a "robot" post and wanted to clarify before I report it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If the primary reason for posting is advertising, then the member is banned.

However if someone joins the forum and is making a good contribution (ie helping people with their queries, giving good advice, etc) then I'm happy for them to have a link in their signature to their site.

One thing I do struggle with is seeing all the posts - I try to check posts made by new members, and anything that looks 'dodgy' on the face of it, etc, but I can't read everything. So if you ever see something that you're not sure of (for example, a member who keeps sharing links to the same site, or a new member who posts links, etc) feel free to hit the report button and I'll take a look (y)

Reaction score
One thing I do struggle with is seeing all the posts - I try to check posts made by new members, and anything that looks 'dodgy' on the face of it, etc, but I can't read everything. So if you ever see something that you're not sure of (for example, a member who keeps sharing links to the same site, or a new member who posts links, etc) feel free to hit the report button and I'll take a look (y)

So are you advertising for Tiffanys ... or breakfast? ;)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Who cares? That's what the "ignore" feature is for.

I'm a contractor, but I don't advertise.

In any event, what's the point of advertising on this forum, anyway, it's not like I'd take the contract in Turkey, the UK or the southern States, all the way from Ontario.

Don't like the posts or the poster, toss 'em into the "ignore" bin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
In any event, what's the point of advertising on this forum, anyway, it's not like I'd take the contract in Turkey, the UK or the southern States, all the way from Ontario.

As far as businesses are concerned, it's all about link building (important for search engine optimisation - SEO). They try to be sneaky about it too, but I have my ways to see through them... :sneaky:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We appreciate all the members helping us keep watch on the forum. Sometimes real life takes over and then there are pages to read! lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Becky. There have been 3 very random and oddly placed posts by this member. My first thought was "robot." Then I noticed there was foreign language info at the bottom of the posts -- don't know if that was there all along. I used Google translate, and it's all advertising. Not that anyone would know, since I had to have it translated..... :)

It's not a big deal, but did make me wonder what the forum rules are.

I even posted a note in one of the threads and requested that this "person" might want to make an introduction to the forum......no response to that, LOL!

I'll find those 3 posts and "flag" them your way. They're not offensive, just oddly placed......

Again, it's no big deal, but if anyone wants to check, do a member search of posts for @ArcaneWater. There were 3.

(You see, all, this is what happens to you when you have surgery and are confined to house-arrest for 2 weeks -- you turn into an Alfred Hitchcock movie!)

Ask a Question