Advice on drain for duck pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, we have 6 ducklings who are quickly outgrowing their splash pool, so we've decided to build them a simple pond that's easily drained and hosed out. To keep costs down, we're planning to use pool liner (I can get some used for free from a local pool installer). We're locating the pond on a little hill and running about 10 feet of 3-inch PVC drain pipe from the lowest point on the sidewall so it can drain out near our septic field. Putting the drain on the bottom won't work -- there won't be enough of a slope on the pipe. I'm leaning toward putting the drain valve on the furthest end of the pipe to avoid stressing/tearing the liner or causing a leak with repeated use. I'm hoping to get some advice on how to secure the pond-end of the pipe against the liner so it's watertight -- I'm pond construction challenged so any suggestions or input would be very much appreciated!!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The drain pipe can be secured to the liner with a bulkhead fitting.
I sincerely hope that your septic drain field is a good distance from your house and those of your neighbors because when you start accumulating duck 'poop' you will have a very stinky and unhealthy mess.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The drain pipe can be secured to the liner with a bulkhead fitting.
I sincerely hope that your septic drain field is a good distance from your house and those of your neighbors because when you start accumulating duck 'poop' you will have a very stinky and unhealthy mess.
Thank you for your reply. What distance do you suggest?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a very good idea, but it would involve hiring someone with the skills and know-how to do it right -- we're on tight, fixed budget, so it's not feasible.

Reaction score
If it's going to be on a hill you may be able to drain it with a garden hose. Put the hose in the pond (use a weight to keep it on the bottom), turn the water on and once it starts running into the pond turn it off and disconnect it. When the water starts running out the end of the hose it will create a siphon and drain the pond. This is how I drain my 3000 gallon pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wouldn't a dirty water pump work for draining the pond and this way you could put the hose where ever you want to each time .I hope you do know that draining it each time and refilling it could get expensive .City water is not cheap and using a well is not cheap and will put a strain on your pump and your electric bill besides the risk of drying up your well .I think you may need to figure out a cleaning system for your pond .I have never seen a filter that could handle that but did see a show a gardening show with ducks and fish in the pond and there water was cleaned by a filter .Maybe you can google info .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just googled it and and www.ducksworld.com and there is also lots of youtube videos of duck pond filters and how to build them and they may be a help .www.chickensworld.com has duck pond filters .Gosh never knew there were so many filter setup's for ducks and so much info .Live and learn and then someone asks a question on here and you learn even more .Some of the filters maybe good for overstocked fish ponds also

Ask a Question