Air Aerator Routed from Garage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Good morning all,
My pond is about four feet from my garage. I have my pond aerator in my garage with the air hose running from garage to pond. Is there any issue with car emissions or other contaminants from garage polluting the pond?

I don't run my car in the garage except to drive in and out. There are things in the garage like fertilizer and gas for lawn mower. But all are sealed and air quality is generally good. I can mount the aerator on a shelf in side the garage and immediately in front fof a window.

See attached picture of new aerator with air hoses not routed yet; just hanging for now. You can also see the existing air hose installed through the garage wall.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 250

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All fumes will be sucked into the filter in the back of it ,but it will not filter out fumes of any kind .Long term i have no clue if it will harm your fish .Maybe you could put a crate over it with reusable filter pads from lowes.Something similar to putting it in the pond with your pump in it

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Do your fish seem depressed? Do they seem suicidal? Have you seen little hangman nooses in the bottom of your pond?

I don't think you have to worry about them rolling up the windows and sticking a garden hose in the exhaust pipe.

Seriously, run the aerator from the garage. You're overthinking it, in my opinion.

Reaction score
I agree with morewater. There is a lot of air in a garage and if it doesn't kill you when you go in then I'd say it's safe. What's the situation that you need aerator in the summer?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
An aerator is needed because plants use up a lot of the oxygen at night .I asked laguna and they just got back to me and they do not think an aerator should be used in a garage if gas and chemicals are stored in there .They say if you do put it in a garage that it should get fresh air not only for the aerator parts and filter but also for what it could produce by sucking air into the filter .If the filter shows discoloration then there are more fumes in the garage then there should be .So then caution should be taken .They say you can put it in there but look for the warning signs ,but again they do not want to honor the warranty of an aerator used in that situation .I made sure they knew that it was not my aerator and it was a question some one had asked .I sure don't have a garage ,I have a carport

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I ended up putting my aerator on a fairly flat rock hidden by shrubbery close to the pond, covered by a large plastic container turned upside down to protect it from the elements (open on the bottom). It's working flawlessly and has survived several torrential down pores during the rainy season with no water incursion.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used a closet grate under mine with a fake rock i made .The grate has feet under it so holds it off the ground by 3 inch's .I like the flower pot my neighbor put hers in with another flower pot on top of it and she put a small crate under the pot to sit the aerator on

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Sissy, I'm thinking of ordering the same aerator you have. I do have a question about the 12 port manifold. If you only have the 2 hoses hooked up to the manifold that the kit provides. Does air just come out of the other ports or do you cap them?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
no they have turn offs for each port .There are little handles at each hose opening .I just wish I had gotten the bigger one but I paid 139 dollars so can't complain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
no they have turn offs for each port .There are little handles at each hose opening .I just wish I had gotten the bigger one but I paid 139 dollars so can't complain
Thanks Sissy, that makes it simple. The little valves were not visible in the pics and I did look yours up and seen them. Got it ordered from Webbs.
Oh and sorry DrellDrell for getting sidetracked with my own question on your thread!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all about aerators so can help others also .The ones sideways are off and the ones straight out are on

Attachments

• 100_7102.JPG
    100_7102.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 100_7105.JPG
    100_7105.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 252
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks for responses, especially Sissy. I added the aerator primarily to increase the oxygen levels as the air temperature rises (in the 80s lately) and increase biological activity. Could be coincidental, but in the few days since I have added the aerator, the water clarity has improved and green water is reducing. But, I also recently changed my mechanical media in my Savio filter/skimmer. Also added another filter to my Laguna waterfall wier.

I am going to keep the aerator in the garage, but mount it on a shelf directly in front of the window. Protects the aerator and provide fresh air.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Any extra filtering helps and you can never really over filter a pond .I have 2 filters for 5000 gallons and had planed on making the 1 filter bigger but rebuilding decks and yard work has delayed all that .

Ask a Question