Air obstructions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a new Teton Pump which works quite well for a few minutes...but then I get an air pocket in the system somewhere and it slows to a trickle. The water goes to a waterfall/filter combination. I have checked for obstructions--none--and the intake is all the way under water. If I unplug the pump and let everything drain it will normally resolve itself but again, only for a short time. My wife and I just rebuilt our deck and would like to do some work on the pond, including fixing the external filter and getting it running again but I think I need to resolve this problem before I do much else. Any ideas? Thanks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Have you pulled the pump and inspected it. I have run across this scenario several times over the years and a dead frog was always to blame. The frog gets sucked blocking the volute opening cutting off the flow. When the pump is unplugged the frog will fall away re-opening the volute. Plug the pump back in and it will run until the frog gets sucked up again. It may not be a frog it could be something else but the scenario is the same.

Ask a Question