Air pump to keep ice open

Reaction score
This is a contraption made with a Top Fin air pump 4000 and some plastic pipe to keep an ice free hole open in the pond. The air pump is in a wooden box (with holes to let air in) with a five foot heater tape to keep the air going in to the pump warm. The box is covered with a plastic bucket to keep it dry. Two air lines are encased in a 3/4 in pipe which are inside a 3 in pipe and then insulating material covers the outer pipe. The air hoses go in to a 6 in pipe which is cemented in to an oil drain pan to hold it down. A number of holes are cut in the 6 in pipe to let gas out. One air hose extends outside of the 6 in pipe about 6 in below the water surface. The second hose is inside the 6 in pipe just below the water surface to keep ice from forming in the pipe. It seems to be doing a good job. This is the first time in 5 years that the pond will have an ice free hole

Attachments

• IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 282

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like it is doing the job, neat set up.

Reaction score
I just unhooked my 4500 GPH waterfall pump abd placed it in the side of the pond, connected a short hose, the moving water kept the water oxygenated and kept a hole throughout winter, allowing gasses to escape etc...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
backtorealty, What you did makes sense if your temperatures are fairly moderate. In the Midwest that would be harder to pull off. I keep and air pump and air stone going all winter and it works well. I would be afraid to have a water pump going because I think it would freeze up.

Ask a Question