AJ pond build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
So I have asked some questions adn gotten some good info. I have been working on this project for over a year now
most of the time it was just sitting on the back burner. anyway it on to the build
We started with me having quit a few large aquariums and moved to having 1 250 or 300 gal plastic yard pond
then we got another one and I made them stacked to where one fed into the other
We loved it so much we decided to do our first inground pond
I was careful and studied our rain run off in our driveway and walkway to the porch
once I was sure the area I wanted to use would work I started digging
I decided to have a little island in the middle of it, I also wanted it to come right up to our lower deck on the porch
I wanted a small waterfall and a deep end so the fish would have somewhere to go on those real hot days
my deepest point is just under 4 feet I built in 3 shelfs for plants or decorations
so here are a couple pics of the first part of the build

Attachments

• pond dig1.JPG
    pond dig1.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 246
  • pond dig2.JPG
    pond dig2.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 255
  • pond dig3.JPG
    pond dig3.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 240
  • pond dig4.JPG
    pond dig4.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 240

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat idea! To keep the liner whole, they would need to cut it like you do a gasket , sort of, find the center, cut a x the size of the island and slide it down. Easy to type, tough to do.

Reaction score
I agree with Addy1 and turttlemommy, Nice idea until it comes time for the liner. What I would do is remove the island install the liner and then build a new island. Not easy but easier than having to tear everything out if your liner leaks because of the existing island. The new island would have to have a liner in it to leep the water out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner :)
addy1 is right on the money, the liner is already down. I laid it out in the yard and using the measurements I used to order the liner custom made I cut a X then rolled up one side to the cut, then I folded the front to the cut. I then using a ladder because there is a 8 foot 4X4 in the island, I raised the liner over the post then lowered it down over me and the ladder to keep it off out plants. once down I just unrolled it and started working it into place. I will say it was one big PITA but it was worth it. I was worried about seaming 2 pieces together.
also I couldn't dig the island out and rebuild it, just couldn't wrap my little brain around that idea ;)
I have a couple ratchet straps at the bottom of the island holding the liner snug (temporary only) I'm going to use the same material when I make it permanent but I will put a strap at the top and bottom of the liner on the wall for the island
so that is why I have a few what I call large folds. I have the normal structure of a rounded shape but then I have an island in the middle and both the little waterfall and the side the bog will feed into jut out some from the circle design, it's sort of a C shape rather than round

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat! I would leave the folds up so less gets trapped under then if you tried to hold down. Or double side tape down, keep fish and debris out of them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We saw one pond with an island a few years ago - it was really cool! It was a great place for wildlife to hang out. Can't wait to see how yours develops!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
I was thinking about for the big ones on the floor to do the double side tape used for repairs, only I"m concerned unless I get it sealed completely it will still collect gunk and then would be even harder to get out
I had a little frog in there swimming around this weekend while I was working on it and it shot down and under one of the folds
made me think if I could find a way to use that as a natural opening, a tiny cave if you will
maybe make something to hold them open and shape them. I think there are 3 big folds each about 6 to 8 inches deep

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I was thinking about for the big ones on the floor to do the double side tape used for repairs, only I"m concerned unless I get it sealed completely it will still collect gunk and then would be even harder to get out
I had a little frog in there swimming around this weekend while I was working on it and it shot down and under one of the folds
made me think if I could find a way to use that as a natural opening, a tiny cave if you will
maybe make something to hold them open and shape them. I think there are 3 big folds each about 6 to 8 inches deep
I definitely have some significant folds, due to having a very rectangular (well, l-shaped) pond. Corners are tough! But I always find that the smaller, younger fish like having the option to hide there at times for safety. I see my trapdoor snails head in on occasion to keep things clean. So I've learned to just embrace the folds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
OK you convniced me, I will leave the folds :)

So where were we,,, Oh yeah the liner, so here are a couple shots right after I got it over the post and back on the ground

Attachments

• pond liner.JPG
    pond liner.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 239
  • pond liner (4) (Small).JPG
    pond liner (4) (Small).JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 235
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
next I added water and worked on the fold and got the basic shape in place
can't seem to find my pics of that part.
so then I built the little waterfall

Attachments

• waterfall (3) (Small).JPG
    waterfall (3) (Small).JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 185
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
next up was the walkway from the driveway to the porch
then I had to extend the lower porch section to blend the whole thing together

Attachments

• porch walk before.JPG
    porch walk before.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 247
  • porch ext before (Small).JPG
    porch ext before (Small).JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 195
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
so now it's starting to come together

on the waterfall, I started with the overall shape cut into the mound of dirt in pev. pics
then I went and bought 4 bags of sand topp concrete mix, I had some rip rap ( just busted up concrete) that I placed all around. then I just covered everything with the concrete, I used liquid color when mixing it to get the shade I wanted. some of it is just concrete molded into shape. It took some work and I had to keep tending to it for a bit untill it started setting good. I have to say though for my first try at it I realy like the way it turned out
Oh the liner is under it so even if it cracks or leaks it won't cause a problem with water loss

Ask a Question