Algae Build-Up on Waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Curious what the overall consensus is on the algae build up on your waterfall rocks. My water is actually looking rather clear, but I'm starting to get a pretty good build up of algae on the rocks where the water flows. Is it best to leave as is, and let it go, or are there some simple treatments to help clean some of that up?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Curious what the overall consensus is on the algae build up on your waterfall rocks. My water is actually looking rather clear, but I'm starting to get a pretty good build up of algae on the rocks where the water flows. Is it best to leave as is, and let it go, or are there some simple treatments to help clean some of that up?
We have a couple of members who do this: turn off the waterfall; pour hydrogen peroxide on the algae; wait a few minutes [not sure how long], then scrub it off with a stiff brush. The H2O2 won't hurt the fish and there's not enough to damage the pond's ecosystem.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it helps clean your water .I just leave it .It is like a water cleaner and my lizards here just love it .

Reaction score
I pick large strings/chunks by hand, then when the falls/aerator are off during feeding, I do the H2O2, 1 32oz bottle of 3%. I poke 3 or 4 holes in the lid with a nail so I get better coverage. Falls/air turn back on after 30 minutes, then I lightly scrub with the falls running. Dead algae will go into the skimmer or bottom drain. Then I clean the pads in the skimmer later that day or early the next morning. That keeps the algae at bay for a week or 2 at most, then I will see string algae starting to accumulate again. Then I just repeat the process. Luckily H2O2 is pretty cheap. 32oz for .90 at Big Lots. Best deal I have found in town so far. I also use it in my smaller ponds/fountains (direct pour in) and that keeps them free of string algae also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks star. How much do you use as a direct pour-in on your small ponds? Mine is only 230 gallons, with about 16 sq ft. of surface area.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the lizards eat the algae I don't use that stuff .Only thing I add to my pond is a bag of crushed oyster shells and a bag of zeolite and koi clay .

Reaction score
in my 1/2 barrel with only plants, maybe 8 oz, but since it is partially shaded, and no fish that lasts quite a while. Not worried about overdosing since no fish
With my 1/2 barrel/150 gal stock tank set up I have plants, a few baby koi and gold/shubs. I use maybe 8 oz also, but I am also more cautious about overdosing. I reapply every 2 weeks, just when I start to see string algae around my water lily in the top 1/2 barrel. I pour into the top barrel (which has no fish) so it will dissipate thru the water before it cascades down to the stock tank. That keeps both clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It keeps my water clean my acting as a filter, but these hot days and it gets so thick and unattractive...

I take ten minutes to pull out the big blobs every week or so. The water flow through the stream sounds better when not muffled by that stuff.

Ask a Question