Algae in tubing

Reaction score
Country
Canada
so I neglected my pond for a few weeks. I was in Boston. My fish are thriving amazingly. However I noticed my pump isn't pimping down the waterfall as fierce as it use to when I opened the pond in April. I noticed tons of algae inside the tubing and coming out the hose it's caked in there that you an see it over hanging out the hose and why water pressure has decreased.

I plan on disconnected everything and cleaning the tubing so I get better water pressure. Shooting hose water through the tubing enough to loosen it all out or anyone have a better suggestion?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hydrogen peroxide might kill it. How long of a piece are we talking about? Maybe you need a larger diameter tubing......

And I'd check your local laws, as well, because "pimping" might be illegal where you live :eek::oops:

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That was a great catch on that auto correct.

I am using black tubing. It is not clear. You can legit see the algae caked on the side where the water comes out. So clearly my tube is smaller than it really is because the algae is closing it up. Wanted to clean it with something that won't harm my fish. Yeah I'll be bringing everything inside in a couple months with freezing winter around soon. But I would like to listen to the nice water tickle for a couple more months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
What about a bottle brush tied to a piece of string threaded through it? Tie the string to a small weight and it should pass through by shaking and twirling the pipe around, then replace weight with the brush....just a thought!
Nice water 'tickle'! Assume that autocorrect should have been TRICKLE,??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What about a bottle brush tied to a piece of string threaded through it? Tie the string to a small weight and it should pass through by shaking and twirling the pipe around, then replace weight with the brush....just a thought!
Nice water 'tickle'! Assume that autocorrect should have been TRICKLE,??

Just a tip in general for threading through conduit, etc. Tie a bit of paper to the end of some fishing line. Suck on the other end with a vacuum cleaner. then use the fishing line to pull through something stronger and you can then pull whatever you need back and forth through the tube. No idea if this will help the OP, but it works beautifully for pulling low voltage wire through conduit.

Ask a Question