tdc

Me and Charley
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
Germany
Hi
I came up with an idea on how to remove algae a while ago.
We get the type of algae that glues itself to the rocks, water pipes and anything else it can find.
Its very fine and almost like very fine hair.

I use a net to remove it but its so well stuck to the stone that it slips back into the pond.
So I came up with this idea.

I have put plastic ties around the frame of the net cut the ties down to about half an inch.
This acts as a serrated edge which grips the algae and you can pull the algae (or at least most of it)
from whatever its stuck to. Once its free I use the net to scoop it up.

Works well for me.

I guess you could use a plastic grass rake but these tend to be to wide to do a good job.

Till the next time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just turn off my pumps on a sunny day and pour peroxide on some of it .I don't remove it all because it helps clean the water also .I wait 15 minutes or more and turn the pumps back on and it turns white and goes to the filter

tdc

Me and Charley
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
Germany
I just turn off my pumps on a sunny day and pour peroxide on some of it .I don't remove it all because it helps clean the water also .I wait 15 minutes or more and turn the pumps back on and it turns white and goes to the filter
Hi
Thanks for the info.
To be honest I try to steer away from introducing chemicals into the pond.
Having said that I will look into peroxide.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Actually peroxide is good for lots of things associated with the pond .I use it to clean filters ,new plant roots before they have a chance to spread something bad into the pond .It is great for humans also to take a bath in as it adjusts your body PH along with baking soda and it softens the skin .It can even for a short time add oxygen to your pond .I use it to clean pots I plant in and use it to clean and sanitize my dishwasher and toilets as it is safer for my septic tank .Besides being great for your teeth also ,it is good for many things you need sterilized and much safer than bleach .I use it to wash my white towels in to keep them sparkling white .I also use koi clay in my pond .

Ask a Question