am I ok to have a wels catfish in my pond

Reaction score
Hi everyone just signed up...
Been offered a 14" wels catfish
From a tank I have a fair sized pond with three ghost carp and a few large goldfish
Good idea probably not.......any views?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A wels catfish can get very large and they will eat anything. May not be the best idea. Also make sure your pond can handle the fish load, everything will continue to get bigger.

Reaction score
I just looked it up - holy smokes they get BIG!!! I would have a hard time passing up something so interesting, but if its going to eat your fish ...... I would pass on it, if it were me, because I am attached to my existing fish.

BUT man, they are cool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too looked them up. They can grow seriously big, and according to Wilipedia, have been seen lunging from water to eat pidgeons on land.

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome.
Wels Catfish in Germany have been known to attack people when they are spawning. They are also one of the largest species of freshwater fish. I do not think that it would be wise to have one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Personally if you value your other fish I'd give this catfish a miss they can grow to a very large size ,and wopuld quite happikt eat your koi and goldfish whole.
They is a legend in Germany that back in the middle ages accuses them of eating people whole , if that is true who know's but as Aaron has said they do attack people. Best bet is to offer it to an aquarium somewhere ?
Whatever you do , dont let it go free in the wild it could do great damage to your native species
Check out this episode of animal planet :-

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/river-monsters/videos/monster-wels-catfish.htm

I rest my case

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome.
Wels Catfish in Germany have been known to attack people when they are spawning. They are also one of the largest species of freshwater fish. I do not think that it would be wise to have one.
Aaron I didnt know that people spawned :ROFLMAO::LOL::D:):happy:

Dave;) (y)

Ask a Question