Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Nice idea.

Two thoughts immediately come to mind-

-People will continue to dump their unwanted pond fish into the featured lake AND also the new amnesty lake.

- No rules for quarantine will be proposed simply because they won't be enforceable and no funds for enforcement of any other rules/restrictions will likely be allocated.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep they won't care about quarantine at the new spot. It will be survival of the fittest and just another dumping ground w/no concern about wild fish living there.

MJ is right I think people living in the area of the first lake will just continue dumping there also.

Why aren't all the Heron heading there to feast? It's a giant sushi bar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Between us weve already come up with numerous points I doubt these people have thought through as of yet but the point remains too many people are just ditching non native species in our many lakes and rivers UK included and it has to stop otherwise great damage is being done to the native systems which they are finding it hard to recover from .
We only have to look to the US for a couple of major infestations of non native fish getting free , here in the UK and Europe its the same .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Here in Plymouth we have a dealership that has its own private lake that takes koi but they are strickly QT'd before they are released into the lake , we even have a number of our own larger koi swimming about in it .
The owner plans to landscape things and then open it to the public to wander around , if all his planning comes to fruition it will be next summer when its open and we will be two of the first people in the Que to go visit , however as I've already pointed out the difference between the two is a strict QT proceedure .
Val and I have a good friend Max who runs the only koi and goldfish pond rescue service in the UK where she rescues from ponds any onwanted koi and goldfish but you cant just ditch them on her you must contact her service first before the rescue can go ahead normally a week after being contacted , she goes any distance to rescue these fish , which she then nurses back to A1 health before the fish re fostered to volunteers , I work s an un-official PR man looking for sponsorships i;e food and medical supplies getting so far Tetra and Kusuri to sponsor her.
Hopefully she will soon see it as a charitable enterprise which would make hings far easier for her and the rest of the volunteers
So as you can see things like this can be made to work if thought out propperly

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What's the saying - the road to hell is paved with good intentions....

- or you could do what that zoo in Copenhagen does - feed unwanted animals to the lions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Between us weve already come up with numerous points I doubt these people have thought through as of yet but the point remains too many people are just ditching non native species in our many lakes and rivers UK included and it has to stop otherwise great damage is being done to the native systems which they are finding it hard to recover from .
We only have to look to the US for a couple of major infestations of non native fish getting free , here in the UK and Europe its the same .

Dave
Introducing any new types of fish into lakes can be devastating. Even if they are native to the area. They introduced Walleye to a small lake near me, about 25 years ago. I used to go perch fishing there with my grandparents. After 5 years there was hardly any left. The walleye ate all the little ones. I will never be able to take my daughter there perch fishing.
As far as my trout ponds, nobody is allowed to use minnows as bait. I also worry that someone might think they are doing me a favor by dumping bass or bullhead in my pond. That would ruin it for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What's the saying - the road to hell is paved with good intentions....

- or you could do what that zoo in Copenhagen does - feed unwanted animals to the lions.
Do you go on Care2Care as well Mitch there was a protest about this very thing of feeding animals to loins at Copenhagen Zoo a short while ago which we signed

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have not heard of that site, Dave.
- but the zoo should be neutering the animals instead of letting them breed, only to feed the young to predators.

Who am I to say, though.
That kind of thing is done with other species all the time...(n)

Ask a Question