Another cold temp feeding question

Reaction score
Sorry, but I need to hear this again. :)
I have read a few posts about the not feeding rule when the water drops below 50F. My pond water is now around 40 and even a few days back it was in the low 30's. My goldfish are still quite active.
It looks like they want to eat but I have not fed them for the last week. To me it "looks" like they're hungry.
I'm new to this so I still have the urge to feed them.
So even though they're still active, am I doing the right thing by not feeding.???
How can they survive without food??

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Do not feed them below 50 degrees F. They cannot digest the food and it will rot in their stomach. My large Koi do not get food after 55 degrees, I let the smaller ones have it to 50 degrees F and this has worked well.
They beg out of habit, don't give it...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
definately feed but..if you dont have room for them to get any exercise you may want to cut back on feeding...in a tank i would definately cut back...easier to maintain water clarity and quality also. feed just enough to keep them healthy.

Reaction score
Not too worried about water quality but I see your point on excersise. I tend to go overboard on filtration. most of my fish are in the 6" range but I do have one about 12"+ so the smaller ones get some excersise but the bigger one is a bit limited.

Dr.Dave I knew I had to feed them but was sondering if I should cut back from normal pond feeding quanttities.......

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sorry, I misunderstood, Koiguy is right about reducing the feeding. I would also add a circulation pump so they have a stream to exercise in. I have one in each of my Nursery tanks and the baby koi play in it all day.

Reaction score
I have two circulation pumps....its a 200 gallon saltwater overflow tank and the pumps are positioned blowing down toward the bottom to help keep debris from settling on the bottom.

Ask a Question