Another newbie, from Brooklyn, NY.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi. I've been lurking for a while and soaking up advice, but now that I've taken the plunge (so to speak), I thought I should register and introduce myself (because I know I'll have lots of questions).

I've set up a 300 gallon stock tank water garden, and I've got some water lillies, some floating plants, a few marginal bog plants, and goldfish (4 comets, 2 shubunkin and a wakin...and I'm stopping there, with the fish, to avoid overcrowding).

Thanks for all of your good advice, thus far, and thanks in advance for all of the questions that I know I'll have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh, and here's a photo, from a couple of days ago... constructive criticism more than welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3750.JPG
    IMG_3750.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 265
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! Your pond will look lovely when the plants are a little more mature :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Howdy and welcome to our group! Love the stock tank. I have a 300 gallon one but it is the round rubbermaid one

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hello and welcome and I can see you are having lots of fun with your pond .I just love those big stock tanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Love those tank!

My worry would be in the summer it'll heat up the water. Is your pond in the sun? if so, a shade might help with water being heat in that pond :)

I don't know if your two little fountain will be enough for the filtration, since I see that you couldn't open the head all the way (they splash a lot?). I'd advise on finding a better way for filtration. With my old pond (just a little bigger than yours) I used a planter, filled with rocks ( or pebble/lava rock/filter media) and put the hose from the pump from the bottom so the water float up and over the planter, back to the pond. The planter sit in the pond and the closer the planter to the water level, the less water splash, or if you use a round planter, water might not even splash!. Then I plant plants in planter, making it a little bog :)

image of my old pond. See the two planters in it. image.jpg

Ask a Question