Another problem with the new pond planning

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
After planning and drawing up my plan for the new pond at the new property I came to another set back..

We have a huge black walnut trees about 40 feet away from where I wanted to have my pond. Learn that black walnut is super toxic to fish (and other plants for that matter, but why the h*** we have wisteria infestation I do not know).

Do you think it'll be a problem? I think 40 feet is pretty far? I have not seen the black walnut anywhere near the site I wanted to have the pond so I guess the fruits dont drop too far from the tree. But wondering if the leaves are also toxic to fish?

Thought?

Anya

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yup, the leaves are toxic as well.

Put a leaf net over the pond in the Fall. Scoop out as many leaves as you can once they start falling.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
:( oh well. I'll have to make a tree net for my pond, not too bad I guess. It's at least 40 feet away... crossing my fingers that the leaves wont travel too far...

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
40 feet is pretty far but then again I don't have any trees within 40 ft. of my pond but it'll soon be over loaded with leaves. I would love to hear what others have to say about dealing with toxic species.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
40 feet is pretty far but then again I don't have any trees within 40 ft. of my pond but it'll soon be over loaded with leaves. I would love to hear what others have to say about dealing with toxic species.

Same here, but I'd also like to hear what trees, shrubs, other plants, might be considered "toxic" to pond fish. I have some Swamp Milkweed for my bog -- all parts of it are toxic so I'll have it where I can monitor what falls off to keep it out of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
the tree is easily 3 stories high, probably more, could be 4 feet wide at the base.

Right now the fruits are dropping and soon the leaves will be too. If the leaves are toxic I'll have to make a good leaves net. They recommend clearing out the leaves and fruits every year so the toxic doesn't accumulate (but it's probably already has)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
aw :( you got lots of leaves even though there's no big trees near by? hmm... I'll probably have a big mess then since there will be tons of tree near mine.

Reaction score
I would recommend for you to put a skimmer in your future pond because it will remove anything on the surface. I have a big oak tree not too far from my pond and i regret not installing a skimmer because as much as i try I can't get every leaf out of my pond that falls from the tree. Along with the skimmer and netting out the leaves yourself you may want to build a structure of netting over your pond to keep a good amounts of the leaves out

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Paul. Yes I'm going to have a DIY skimmer build for this pond. There is also an oak tree close to the pond too and there will be lots of leaves from them too :(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have two apple trees one large maple tree within 15 feet of the pond. With total luck our prevailing winds sends most of the leaves away from the pond, or they just drop straight down. I am pulling apples out right now.

I don't net it for leaves, do have a skimmer. The skimmer does catch some as they fall, ow any that make it into the pond I just net out.

For me netting is more of a headache then scooping them out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
thanks Addy. I'm thinking about using like window screen material for my cover instead of the 'leaves net'. I didnt think much about scooping them out but the black walnut are poisonous to fish and the toxin is in every part of the tree so I dont want to risk having the leaves accumulate in my pond and poison my fish. I'll probably have to put the net up in fall only. Too bad we can have apple tree near the black walnut too, it'll die... i'll have to see where is the safe place to plant my garden and fruit trees.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes you have a totally different issue with poisonous tree parts. Nothing I have is bad for the fish, except if they rot over winter.

Ask a Question