Another question about goldfish color & patterns

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is it called when colors appear to be layered?

I have a baby from this spring that fell into my Shubunkin category. But where most of the Shubie babies have gone on to be tri-colored, there is one that is staying gold and black [no clear, white, or blue]. At first glance, it looks like an ordinary comet, that's still changing from black to gold, but that isn't the case and you have to look closely to see it.

It looks like there is some black underneath gold with more black on top of that -- it has a dimensional effect. I wondered if there was an official name for that type of color layering....

image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a fish like that, just orange and black. I like her a lot (a new watonai) and reading the info in the link above, I didn't find anything about the orange and black only, and since I'm so bad at english, cant understand a lot of the words either :(

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Nepen Yes, exactly the color-mottling I was talking about -- there are depths to the black, like it was painted on, washed over, then painted on again....

I think the term is "nacreous." It's a pretty effect, and it's what makes the Shubunkin [as well as the multi-colored Watonai & Wakin] look so amazing!

@Dave 54 One of these days I'm going to finally learn something, LOL, but for a dummy like me, I get lost in all the sciency explanations and terminologies :)

@dieselplower You might be right, but it still remains to be seen. I have many fish that I "raised" this past spring -- about 1/2 and 1/2 Shubie-types vs "normal" colored GF. Of all the "normals," most have already changed to gold [or gold with white], but a few are still black. And the ones that changed, did so in a predictable pattern. So far, this little guy has stayed this color from the beginning, and doesn't look at all like the other "changelings."

Ask a Question