Anoxic Filtration

Reaction score
Anybody have experience or thoughts in regards to anoxic filtration? My plan was to build a bog or veggie filter sometime next year and then I stumbled upon anoxic filtration on another site which seems to be the better way to go for ease of maintance and function. It’s not that much different on construction and still allows a bog type set up but, works differently as its your substrate (kitty litter and laterite) that creates the anoxic environment for the vital bacteria. Plants can be added to this substrate and benefit but, serves no real function for the anoxic set up. You can go with or without plants.

Is this filter so new that it has not caught on yet? Not heard anything ever mentioned on this type of filter. Seems to be another alternative to Skippy type filter and could be constructed for as cheap or cheaper.

Just want to get some of your opinions and curious if anyone has ever tried it.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I googled 'anoxic filtration', and came up with some information on this filtration system that originated in the 1930's for sewage treatment. It has since been perfected, and from the actual pictures and diagrams that I saw online, for what you actually get out of it the whole thing looks like a lot of work.

Hopefully someone else might know first hand if this system would be worth the expense.

Reaction score
Its actually very little work and expense. From the set ups I have saw it is basically a small upper pond or basin with planter baskets filled with kitty litter and laterite. If limited on space you can build a basin and stack the baskets on top of each other. As a general rule, its one 11" x 11" x 9" basket for each fish.

Reaction score
Yes, mine is a mud pond. As for filter I curently don't have one at the moment as it's not critical or even really required in my case.

I'm working on a waterfall build for oxygen and at the same time wanting an upper bog for plantings that feeds the falls. With all this in mind I want to create a solution that also improves water quality for the fish as well.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I never read anything on that type of filter
If you build one let us know how it goes

Reaction score
I just skimmed through the article. What is the difference between anoxic
filtration and just regular biological filtration? what is the difference, the amount of bio-filtration used for each fish?
Mechenical filtration...
We have mechanical filtration in our filter tubs, which is an
assortment of fibers, such as dacron, floor sanding pads, and Easter bunny grass, that we put in mesh bag. (The Easter bunny grass is easy to clean, and we have found it to be an excellent filtration medium) We first put in the filter for biological filtration, then discovered that it provided good mechenical filtration ...It is very easy to clean, cause you just lift the mesh bag and dip it up and down in a bucket of pond water. (we clean all our filter material with buckets of pond water ) A surprising amount of fine particles and dirty is expelled from the Easter grass bags.
We have 3 mesh bags filled with Easter grass, and plan on putting in more next Spring.

You just have to be carefull not to get the grass near the pumps, as you can ruin the pumps. We have three filter tubs, daisy chained together...The first two tubs are seperated with cut up milk crates, we used the cut up crates to prevent the various filter materials getting sucked through the lines that connect the tubs.

The last tub has all the pumps as well as more filter material...The last tub is where we have the densest filter material. It is a very compact thick dense dacron. This is what Cliff's calls "the final mechanical filter tub that polishes the water"

Biological filtration...
After leaving the last tub, the water travels underground 18 feet away - to make the jouney to the final biological filtration pond. The water enters the bio pond over a small waterfall, drops into the pond, travels through the pond getting scrubbed by the various plants and lava rock. It then exits the bio pond, travels back underground ( by gravity] and re-enters the main pond, under a small wood dock at the end of the main pond ... then it starts all over again.

Reaction score
If you read that site that Airic and I both posted at the very same time, you'll get endless explanation there on the subject.

Also, Airic did post about the CD--I will warn you that I have heard of a good bunch of people ordering that CD, but have never received anything. So, be warned before you send your good money over. The site itself, however, is highly informative.

Personally, I'm not sold on the idea.

Reaction score
I'm with you Koikeeper, too complicated, too involved. We built our pond in 1997, before all the information on the internet about ponds and it's a good thing too...we would have been overwhelmed with all the information, and 'expert advise'...instead to got advise from a seasoned ponder.

Aric, you have to create the perfect eco-system for your 40k pond with lots of plants.
The Colorado lily (hardy lily) does great in mud bottom ponds. What is your planting zone -- 7?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I think Joann is right, for a new ponder some of this information can be really overwelming. Based on the fact that there are so many variables when it comes to having a pond, like size, location, zone, and type of fish. It can be enough to discourage someone from having a pond at all.

Reaction score
LOL! Clearly, there's natural science behind the process. And the guy is, of course, an expert. I also feel that this "filter" takes up way too much space. It's a section of the pond you dont have fish in...

It's very interesting tho.

Ask a Question