Any Tips/techniques for cleaning bottom of a pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hi, I want to clean some bottom mud before winter, is there any easier way without using vacume or syphon .Using any homemade device/technique without draining water and entering in the pond ….. Like any type of net or scoop or bottle, bucket with rope to do this? How do you clean it .

Reaction score
Before I vacuum I use a leaf net. I get a lot of dirt along with the leaves so it might work at east somewhat. The problem with trying to net the dirt is that it will most likely get the water stirred up so much that you won't be able to see what you are doing. Another option is to brush the pond and let the filter clean it

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Scooping gets the bigger stuff, but not the finer muck. Plus, it stirs everything up, so I have to do it in stages. Finally got a pond vac, and it does a great job. BIG learning curve, though, so took a lot of patience.

Except for having a bottom drain, that's about the only way I know of. Well, and being consistent with cleaning -- keep to a regular routine maintenance schedule and not leaving it as a once or twice a year chore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I was interested in a DIY airlift vacuum but I haven't had to vacuum since I discovered it. :/ It does drain that water out but you don't have to get in the pond. You could even run it through some pads or something to return the water to the pond. Actually I know I saw version where the catchment bag was still in the water so all water was returned but I prefer to remove ALL the dirty water with the muck.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was interested in a DIY airlift vacuum but I haven't had to vacuum since I discovered it. :/ It does drain that water out but you don't have to get in the pond. You could even run it through some pads or something to return the water to the pond. Actually I know I saw version where the catchment bag was still in the water so all water was returned but I prefer to remove ALL the dirty water with the muck.
Waterbug had a design for a DIY muck vac. If I can find the link, I'll post it. It seemed pretty complicated to make, though.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used a shop vac with a hose on the outlet part and the outlet went into a a laundry basket with quilt batting in it .It had the special wet dry vac option with a foam filter .It was really tough to use though .You can also use a dirty water pump and just put the hose in a basket with quilt batting also .If the stuff is fine you can use a regular pump .The basket has to have a place to sit in a water fall so it can drain back into the pond and may need cleaned a lot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We installed a bottom drain hooked u[pp to a vortex type filter , net result a clean bottom to the pond with all the detritus swept away to drain then vortex before going through another three filters , end result crystal clear water

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For the long term, consider getting snails. I've noticed that the pond stay very clean since I put snails in. They eat any biomaterial on bottom and crawl up and down the pond sides cleaning it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I've never found anything that I considered to work well; using a pool bottom vacuum that is suction hose powered and collects into a filter works about as good as anything else I've tried.
In the past I've connected the hose to a spare pump and use pond water to power a pool bottom vacuum rather than tap water. It does a good job with leaves and fibrous plant material, but dead diatoms shoot right through the collection bag. On the positive side it stirs up the mulm on the bottom enough to release any trapped toxic gasses and gives your mechanical filter a chance to catch some of it.
I have come to the conclusion that every pond absolutely needs both a bottom drain that is either aerated or floomed and a surface skimmer. These two thing will eliminated 90% of the mulm on the bottom of the pond you are trying to clean.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
We installed a bottom drain hooked u[pp to a vortex type filter , net result a clean bottom to the pond with all the detritus swept away to drain then vortex before going through another three filters , end result crystal clear water

Dave

I want to put a bottom drain but the problem I have is that the size of the pond is small and usually these bottom drains want a very strong pump. I was looking at the Aqua Art Retro Bottom Drain. My pond is only 3' feet down and 4' by 12'. Any suggestions on adjustments.

My pond has large stones at the bottom, so I'm thinking I'll need to get rid of the stones in the future for this project. Maybe I should just hire someone to do this.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a retro bottom drain left over from my last pond build. I ended up putting in a koi toilet in that pond .

I want to add it to one of my old ponds this spring . I'm thinking 3" pipe from the retro drain to a settlement chamber ... Then pump it to my filters

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have a bottom drain and don't really have a lot of yuck on the bottom.
I net it every other year or so. Even then get maybe 1/2 of 5 gallon bucket of stuff out.
I think my massive plant filter sucks all the extra stuff out. When I am walking in the pond, I use my toes to feel the bottom, there is never a real layer of stuff to even worry about. This is year 6 for the pond.

I do have a lot of trap door snails and other types. The trap doors are huge now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I don't have a bottom drain and don't really have a lot of yuck on the bottom.
I net it every other year or so. Even then get maybe 1/2 of 5 gallon bucket of stuff out.
I think my massive plant filter sucks all the extra stuff out. When I am walking in the pond, I use my toes to feel the bottom, there is never a real layer of stuff to even worry about. This is year 6 for the pond.

I do have a lot of trap door snails and other types. The trap doors are huge now.

I'm guessing the pond doesn't have gravel on the bottom?

Ask a Question