Aphids and a snake....

Karen

I'd rather be Fishin'
Reaction score
I have two problems...the first one, I have tiny bugs (I figure they are a type of aphids) on my water hyacinth plants. They are killing my plant or at least the leaves are dying. It's like the little bugs smother them. If I cut off the leaf new ones will grow back, but that doesn't get rid of the lil' bugs, they just move to another one...any ideas? I read spray the leaves with cooking oil like Pam???? Also....I seem to have a garter snake that scares the $@*& out of me everytime I go out there....he's made himself at home and loves it. If he's not swimmin' in the pond then he's hidin' in the rocks, and I seem to always come up on him....UGH! Any ideas on how to get him to leave???

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some times if you just consistently spray the plant with a garden hose it will control them

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Karen, On the garter snake, You may actually want to leave it there. Snakes put out scents that attract others of their own kind, this will in most cases stop other types form coming in. kingsankes are the best for this but a Garter puts off a pretty good scent too. At least with the garters you know what it is, It's easy to identify,you know it's harmless to people and pets ( Well except scaring you to death) and it making home around your pond might keep more unwanted snakes away. There is a product available at Tractor supply and most lawn and garden centers called snakes away, It's a powder you'll put out away from the pond but around the perimter that is suppose to keep snakes away, does it work? I really don't know. I have a ribbon garter that has made it's home in the lotus area and I have seen it several times a day for the last week. It's gotten so used to me that I can now walk up to withing inches of it and it doesn't run or try to bite. Last night it came and rested within a few inches of me and I enjoyed watching it very much. I've watched this little guy grow from about 10" to well over 2' now and it's really been neat to watch. You may get rid of it but who knows what might show up next. I've decided to not touch this one and let it be, If I'm going to have one near the pond I like knowing that it's a friendly easy to identfy species that won't harm my fish, Might lose a small frog or two here and there or a lizard or two but I have plenty. and reducing a few isn't going to effect the orchastra tha much! LOL
On the bugs, I guess I'm not a good pond plant person on that, I pretty much let have let nature ake it's course. Only aguatic plant bug removal I have done is a few catapillars that eat the Lotus and thalia leaves, I do remove them and throw them in for the fish to eat, They look at me and say thank you for the treat!

Attachments

• snake pics 013.jpg
    snake pics 013.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 363
  • snake pics 018.jpg
    snake pics 018.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 315

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol fishin, got side tracked was going to say the same thing about the snake. They are great to have. I was ecstatic to find the black snake that showed up, around 5 feet in length get rid of some of those mice and moles.

Spray the plants with a hose for a few days it will remove the bugs I used to do that to my plants in arizona, spider mites and aphids. Just keep after them. Will get them under control

Karen

I'd rather be Fishin'
Reaction score
Thank you Addy1 and Fishin'4cars! My snake has it made...lol...all the tadpoles he wants to eat and a great environment too. Never thought about it like that...yes!!! so glad it's just a garter and not something else. Will try the water hose rinse....thanks!!! :regular_waving_emot

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fought spider mites in arizona on one of my plants, just rinsing every day finally got rid of them.

Aphids, hosing off works, but you have to keep doing it to interrupt their life cycle.

from the net:

I would suggest you stick with the tried and true high pressure water spray method. An ordinary adjustable nozzle for a standard garden hose should work just fine. Blast the bugs twice a day for a few days. Repeat the process every week and you should notice a reduction in both the presence of the aphids and the damage they cause. Small fish will eat aphids knocked into the water by the spray.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
from a different net source:

Disagreeable numbers of aphids may be handily destroyed by spraying a dilute solution of Volck (tm) oil onto them. This material is safe for use in ponds with other life unlike pesticides and other "economic poisons".

Ask a Question