Wanted Aqua UV light 80 Watt

Reaction score
preferably an 80 watt unit. Currently i have a 57 and for my pond size, 4500 gallons, I need more watts for sterilization. I suppose I could double up another 57 watt if one is available out there.

thanks,

rick
salem, OR

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you checked ebay .I saw on a couple of places there that they sell larger ones .Topdog and webbs and countryfish girl on there .Not sure what brands they sell .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
preferably an 80 watt unit. Currently i have a 57 and for my pond size, 4500 gallons, I need more watts for sterilization. I suppose I could double up another 57 watt if one is available out there.

thanks,

rick
salem, OR

Why would you want to sterilize your pond water? Poor trade-off killing all of the beneficial phyto- and zooplankton just on the remote chance it will prevent parasites.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Why would you want to sterilize your pond water? Poor trade-off killing all of the beneficial phyto- and zooplankton just on the remote chance it will prevent parasites.
@Meyer Jordan , Do you not recommend use of a UV light. I have one in my pressurized filter and I thought it helped clear the water of suspended algae, thus reducing excess organics in the water. I'm curious about this.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did see they sell the other bulbs for 100 dollars for 4 of them .I buy the cheap ones 14.99 for 4 .I use mine since starting new .Never had one before this .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
STERILIZE! Lets clear this up right now. UV light at a very high rate of saturation WILL kill (sanitize) many if not most bacteria. However in low concentrations, it is used to eliminate green algae. Not the green stuff growing on the liner and rocks and not the dreaded "string algae but the very fine, floating green algae that turns your pond into "pea soup". With proper use, a "UV filter" passes light into the water as it flows through the filter. This UV light "disrupts" the molecules of the algae so that it can not reproduce. Eventually it dies and falls to the bottom of your pond adding to the rest of the crap on the bottom, that is if you do not have a bottom drain. UV light is the best way to control green water. There are other ways, but a UV filter is automatic and near maintenance free.

BEST TIP: I include a timer on every UV filter I install. Using the UV filter only a few hours each day to control green water can make a bulb last for several years, not one season. Here is the simple method. In the spring when the water starts to green, turn on the UV filter with the timer (A GOOD ONE) and run it for only a few hours a day, say 3-4. If the water clears try reducing the run time a little. If it does not clear, increase the run time a bit. After several day you will find the exact amount of UV time needed to keep your pond clear. Tweak as needed. On one of my larger ponds, I found running a 200 watt UV filter for 4 hours a day kept it clear! That means the bulb will last 6 TIMES LONGER! A 200 watt bulb is not cheap but buying one every 5-6 years sure makes it more affordable. I have also found that having a higher wattage UV used part-time works better than a lower watt used more. Go bigger, use less, save more in the long run. A UV light filter is 1 of the 6 most important components to build a successful and trouble free pond. It is also a good idea to protect your equipment as much as you can from the weather. It will last much longer, again saving you more $$$. Do you keep your mower in the garage or shed? Think about your neighbor who leaves his out all year! You still have your mower, it starts and runs and your neighbor(s) want to borrow it! NOT!

Thanks for reading. Your comments.......

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan , Do you not recommend use of a UV light. I have one in my pressurized filter and I thought it helped clear the water of suspended algae, thus reducing excess organics in the water. I'm curious about this.

Tula, the simple answer is.......no, I do not. But I feel that I need to clarify why I don't. First of all, if a pond has a proper fish/plant balance, nutrient levels will never get high enough to support a planktonic algae bloom (green water). In my geographical area, because of mild winters, this balance can be maintained year round. In areas with harsher winters (ice-over), nutrient levels may build over the winter months resulting in elevated nutrient levels by Springtime. In these cases, it is normal for an algae bloom to occur as the pond seeks to balance itself. Once the aquatic plantings resume active growth, this bloom will dissipate on its own over time as nutrient levels drop. Again, this is assuming the proper fish/plant balance. What often throws this process out of balance is overfeeding of fish, which will eventually cause much more serious problems than green water.
All things being equal, a UV unit may be of some use (for aesthetic concerns) in the early spring at higher latitudes, but should not be needed for the remainder of the year.
In almost 20 years of crafting and maintaining ponds, I have never installed a UV unit and have never had an algae bloom occur. In those other ponds that I have serviced that did experience green water events, a few simple corrections in the pond owner's husbandry practices permanently eliminated any future occurrence.
It is really a matter of choice. If one chooses to utilize a device that is truly not necessary and accept the additional costs for electricity and device maintenance, then that is certainly their option.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, I've had a good look at the pond today. I do have quite a bit of algae bloom, but I have also experienced this in the past. As far as plants, I grow lilies, but have to secure then in deer fencing to keep the koi from them. I also have some personnel grasses that will soon begin greening up. Once the weather is nice, I add parts feather and other plants, but have to put them in floating baskets to keep the koi from them.

I'm not sure how to have a proper balance of fish and plants, since my koi are so naughty!! I found one dead fry, between 1/2 - 1 inch, all other have grown over the winter. My five big koi, all look good and I note no problems.

I did my version of a "gentle water change" by running the hose for 20 minutes ( added dechlor) and the fish seemed to enjoy it, becoming slightly more active. Other than that, I'm allowing things to slowly wake up and keeping my eye on things. I wish I didn't have so much algae.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The biggest reason they become more active is because fresh water coming in is warmer most times .City water is almost always warmer than well water .My well being over 400 ft in the ground and water lines are buried at 3 ft down keep it cooler .Just like my pond water is warmer in the winter because it gets ground heat as the septic tank is only about 3 ft away from the pond

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. When i say "sterilizer" i'm using an Aqua Uv term. i don't think they mean sterilize in the sense of an operating room sterilizer, rather a more powerful level of uv light that thoroughly disrupts the free form algae for completely clear water.. for a pond my size they recommend a 57 watt for a "clarifier" which i bought thinking "clarifier" meant clear and sterilizer meant sterilize. not so. to them the sterilizer level is what you need for total clarity. that's why i'm looking to add wattage.

of course, flow rates/exposure time are important factors too. anyway, if i'd read their materials more closely 4-5 years ago i'd have bought the 80 watt. now i'm stuck with a subpar light and am trying to figure a way to afford to get what i need. i think what i'll try to do is find another 57 watt and hook them up in sequence. if i can find one i can afford that outta do it.

Hey, I really appreciate the advice about the timer. And about protecting the light set up. Those doggone bulbs are very expensive and i pretty much have to replace mine every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey Rick,
Did you find your UV?
I still have the Aqua Ultraviolet 120 available and have reduced the price to $600.
Let me know if you are interested.
Randy
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
No Randy, I didn't. Had a shot at one but snoozed. Doggonit, I'd love to have the 120 and 600s a fair price, but i can't afford it.

rick

Ask a Question