aquarium - fish tank help

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Hope this is the right section for this. I will be useing it for the pond somehow. Maybe a type of DIY bottomless/type pond square, which I think it might be part of a bottomless system. Can someone tell me exactly what it is?
It has bulkhead connectors at one end, square opening at opposite end. Is made of acrylic. It measures 48x18x18 and is 1/2" thick.
My neighbor gave it to me. He got it from a rental property cleanout.
Thanks for any help, Noel

Attachments

• P6160003 (Custom).JPG
    P6160003 (Custom).JPG
    31 KB · Views: 240
  • P6160006 (Custom).JPG
    P6160006 (Custom).JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 257
  • P6160007 (Custom).JPG
    P6160007 (Custom).JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 248
  • P6160005 (Custom).JPG
    P6160005 (Custom).JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 238

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It looks like it could have been a verticle Bio filter. One of our local fish stores has a similar one filled with bio balls. It services about a 100 small tanks.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It could be turned into a trickle tower type filter for a pond too. Take a little thinking bit it has potential.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am going to clean it up today and see how it looks. Its dirty now. Also what would be a good media for a trickle tower? I was thinking lava rock would look cool in there.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If the water is prefiltered enough so that most of the debris are removed before the water goes through the trickle tower Lava rock may work great, BUT it will scratch the sides up tremendously. Bio-balls, Bio-straps, and feather rock are also useable items.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
If the water is prefiltered enough so that most of the debris are removed before the water goes through the trickle tower Lava rock may work great, BUT it will scratch the sides up tremendously. Bio-balls, Bio-straps, and feather rock are also useable items.

Thanks. It has a few scratches already but I see your point. I am also unsure which side is up. I guess the connectors would be at the bottom?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I am really leaning toward making a stand for it to sit on, seal the bulkhead up and then set this in the water @6-8" and suck the air out so it fills with water. Maybe putting some lillies on the small shelf so they grow up into the tank. I really dont need a trickle filter this size. Im sure the stand would have to be pretty strong to hold the weight.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
i would run the fittings at the top and make a spray bar that would sprikle water more evenly, If you use bio balls or something light weight there wouldn't be much weight as the water is not going to weigh much trickling thru the filter. The opening wood be the bottom, I would wrap it so it's dark inside.

Ask a Question