Are fish intelligent ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A frequently asked question is how long is a fishes memory however are they intelligent ?
I am a member of a petitions site called Care2Care and this dropped into our mail box this morning :-

http://www.care2.com/causes/5-incre...how-just-how-intelligent-they-really-are.html

I think after reading it you'll see our pet koi and goldfish in a whole new light .
Whilst your at it why not join the petition site you can earn points towards projects in developing countries around the world and all you have to do is sign petitions from people trying to do good in the world, or like myself even start one

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I haven't read the article yet -- but my feeling is that animals are as intelligent as they need to be to survive in their worlds. And intelligence isn't something that can be compared across species. I also believe in evolution in a species, where positive traits [like being able to figure something out] can be passed on to new generations. If it's a trait that helps them survive -- be it a physical characteristic or an ability -- it stays and life goes on.

So, call it intellignece or instinct [or both], but fish have whatever skills they need to survive and continue their genetic lineage......and to possibly improve the species over time. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't read the article yet -- but my feeling is that animals are as intelligent as they need to be to survive in their worlds. And intelligence isn't something that can be compared across species. I also believe in evolution in a species, where positive traits [like being able to figure something out] can be passed on to new generations. If it's a trait that helps them survive -- be it a physical characteristic or an ability -- it stays and life goes on.

So, call it intellignece or instinct [or both], but fish have whatever skills they need to survive and continue their genetic lineage......and to possibly improve the species over time. Just my opinion.
Give it a read and then let me know will you Maggie in part your right however you may be surprised by the article .

Dave

Ask a Question