Are there any floating plants that survive winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I have a bunch of hyacinth plants that I know will die when cold weather arrives in Oregon, but is there a floating plant that winters over well? I have some bog plants that have done well and I am hoping the potted papyrus will survive.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
papyrus is a tropical, I doubt it will survive the winter, foliage dies in zone 8 and roots need protecting.

"
Bring your container-grown papyrus plant indoors for the winter if temperatures dip below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. If the papyrus gets full sun, it continues to grow through winter. The ideal indoor temperature ranges between 40 and 50 degrees Fahrenheit. A garage, shed or unheated room may provide the necessary temperature.

Supply artificial light if you can't give an indoor papyrus plant enough sun during the winter. Without enough light, papyrus stalks flop over.

"

Reaction score
I get plants down from a pond in my area just dig um up and bring them to my pond. That way i now they will survive the winter. I don't believe floating plants can survive the winter because their roots freeze. In my pond i have Lillie's, cat tails and a leaf plant. They all come back from the winter twice in number then they were the year before and i live up in newengland were the winters are harsh and my pond freezes solid. The only way floating plants could survive or so i think as long as there roots are burried or just bring them inside. Im not 100% sure about my info but two years of experience can back me up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my duck weed came back from our last hard winter (Our hard winter is probably mild for you but with many total pond freezing days). My parrot feather also did.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My parrots feather, dies, dries up, looks dead and comes back every summer. Some of it is in small stream water collection areas, like 1 foot deep by 2 feet wide. I know it freezes solid in the winter, really surprised me after the first winter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Azolla, duckweed, parrots feather, hornwort, creeping primrose, anacharis, Water Hawthorne, hardy water lilies all come back in my weather up here in Washington. And this other plant (forgot the name) I dragged out of a lake near here that is in a tub. I have not added it to the pond yet tho.

IMG_5747.JPG

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If I was braver I'd wander into our waterways and grab some local greenery for the pond. I'm afraid of the gators though. I love that you do that though jw

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This forum is addicting! I need to clean my house right now cuz my sis is coming to stay for a couple days after her parathyroid surgery.
Gone I am now but............................. I'll beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee back

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If I was braver I'd wander into our waterways and grab some local greenery for the pond. I'm afraid of the gators though. I love that you do that though jw
I'd be afraid FOR the 'gators! I don't think they'd stand a chance against you. Probably beat 'em to death with a rum bottle!! :LOL:
John

Ask a Question