water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
6 Days to d day

Bee food ready for the hives , to be put on in November, Insulation panels made,
fondant made to be put on, Thursday, after our last mite treatment

upload_2015-9-20_8-57-56.jpeg

1000 gallon pump, bought, stuck in bucket with filter material to run water across the bog surface and plants until it gets real cold. Then small pumps, pond breathers being plugged in by our house sitters.

upload_2015-9-20_8-59-25.jpeg

upload_2015-9-20_9-1-21.jpeg

Today
removing feeders from hives, sugar water ones, rearranging covers, getting ready to put the small blocks of fondant on before we leave

Mowing field, wildflower fields, front'

Gathering stuff to go into car

Day 5 is tomorrow................geez they are flying
Warned house sitters, it will not be real clean............

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bad time for the men bees, I watched them being drug out of the hives, hanging on for dear life to the landing board. But those gals just kept dragging, evicted , no more food, no more shelter. If they don't leave on their own, stung to death than drug out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yikes addy poor guys .Do your house sitters have to pull the bucket to clean the filters .I know for years I used that method in the winter .I had a smaller bucket and had the handle tied to a pipe going across the pond and just pulled it in .Easier for me to do .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 Fondant, as in the stuff they use to decorate cakes? Is that what the bee food is [excuse my ignorance.....]?

OK, so explain about the girls kicking the guys out? That's not one of the things they tell you on the nature shows, but I'm sure it's necessary for survival during a cold winter.

And we'll be counting down with you! I can't believe how organized you are -- I'd be hiding under the covers, bawling my eyes out......too much to do, too much to do....Calgon.....OK, so you can add a warm bubble bath in there, as well :shy:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yikes addy poor guys .Do your house sitters have to pull the bucket to clean the filters .I know for years I used that method in the winter .I had a smaller bucket and had the handle tied to a pipe going across the pond and just pulled it in .Easier for me to do .

I am not having them turned on until it is darn cold, so most of the growing stuff is done growing. The pond breathers will not be turned on either.
The 1000 gph pump is in the bucket full of filter material, I will just watch the water flow, if it goes to nothing I will have them unplug it. The worse that can happen is there is no flowing water for awhile. The pond is big enough, the fish load small enough they will do fine. Might get a algae overload, not worried, it will be gone the day I turn the bog back on.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like you've got everything all organized! Are you away till Spring?
Depends, my best guess is we will be back mid December, maybe the end of November. We have contractors lined up to work on the house, but there is a bunch of stuff that we need to do, refresh clean up sale quickly.

Right now the market is wonderful for sellers, in Arizona!
The feds are keeping interest rates where they are, so I hope that gives you a higher price for your property and a quick sale.(y)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
so explain about the girls kicking the guys out?
Drones are good for one thing, only, mate with a virgin queen. The moment they do they fall to the ground and die.
You do need a % of drones to keep a hive healthy, i.e. if you lose your queen they need to be there to mate and die. The bees manage the %.
We cut out drone pupae to help control the mites.
In the fall the hive speaks loudly, we are not feeding you laying around, never gather food or work, men! Out you go................

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fondant, as in the stuff they use to decorate cakes? Is that what the bee food is [excuse my ignorance.....]?
You can buy 90/10 fondant to feed them, it has corn syrup in it, so I make mine. corn syrup is not the best thing for bees.
I make it with sugar, water and a little bit of vinegar. Boil to 115C/240f for 4 minutes, then cool to 90c 194f and stir until it whitens, pour into a mold until it hardens.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And we'll be counting down with you! I can't believe how organized you are -- I'd be hiding under the covers, bawling my eyes out......too much to do, too much to do....Calgon.....OK, so you can add a warm bubble bath in there, as well :shy:
laughing, we have lists, which I hate, but this time really helpful, I mark off each done thing as it is done.

The bees and the ponds are taking the most work. Since it is so early to winterize things, esp the bees. The pond I am not too worried about, it will be fine.

Then on Saturday, load into my prius and take off, 2442 miles....................oh we also have a pile of stuff to take gathering in the living room.

Ask a Question