ASAP Old Pond, Old Koi, New Problems

Reaction score
Purchased an old home with and old brick koi pond new back of property. I am located on the Middle Peninsula of Virginia. Pond is an oval shape approx. 5ft x9ft and 3-4 foot deep. approx. 500gal? Pond has large Koi in it but lots of debris on bottom. Water is green to the point that I cant see fish, and have recently found 2 dead Koi. I know several are still alive when they come to feed. No power run to pond currently so ran an extension cord to existing pump. Pump died, and filter was very dirty( canister type) Looking for suggestions on pumps/power source/filtration. Should I just attempt to drain the pond and clean it? Any and all advice appreciated. I can post pictures tomorrow. thank you

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you have well water because then you can purchase a stock tank and aerator and clean the pond .They need air which is probably lacking

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Purchased an old home with and old brick koi pond new back of property. I am located on the Middle Peninsula of Virginia. Pond is an oval shape approx. 5ft x9ft and 3-4 foot deep. approx. 500gal? Pond has large Koi in it but lots of debris on bottom. Water is green to the point that I cant see fish, and have recently found 2 dead Koi. I know several are still alive when they come to feed. No power run to pond currently so ran an extension cord to existing pump. Pump died, and filter was very dirty( canister type) Looking for suggestions on pumps/power source/filtration. Should I just attempt to drain the pond and clean it? Any and all advice appreciated. I can post pictures tomorrow. thank you

You are closer to 1000 gallons. You will need a new pump. Suggest 2000 GPH. Filter may be usable, once cleaned. Pond definitely will require a complete cleaning. Only then will you really be able to accurately assess the need for any additional action.

Ask a Question