Attaching two liners together.

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Was just wanting to get some opinions on putting two liners together. I'm going to be adding a DIY skimmer on the side of my pond. I've got about 2 feet of liner over the side of my pond and going to basically put a 2X4 foot box on the side.

I'm kinda basing it off of waterbugs concept that he posted a year ago or so. Need to add some liner to the side and was wondering if the basic pond liner seam tape or the PL roof & flashing Sealant would be the best bet. The PL roof & Fl sealant's cheaper but want to do it right the first time. Just thought I'd get some ideas from past experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Was just wanting to get some opinions on putting two liners together. I'm going to be adding a DIY skimmer on the side of my pond. I've got about 2 feet of liner over the side of my pond and going to basically put a 2X4 foot box on the side.

I'm kinda basing it off of waterbugs concept that he posted a year ago or so. Need to add some liner to the side and was wondering if the basic pond liner seam tape or the PL roof & flashing Sealant would be the best bet. The PL roof & Fl sealant's cheaper but want to do it right the first time. Just thought I'd get some ideas from past experiences.

Thanks in advance.
Roof and flashing sealant will not work especially if any of the seam will be submerged. Seam Tape can be tricky. If not correctly applied, the seam will lose integrity and leak.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used it for under water applications, put on around 2-3 years ago to one spot, still holding strong. I even sealed a hole in my 1000 gallon stock tank with it, around 1.5 feet down. That is still holding, that was three years ago. I put a hole in it with my backhoes teeth when I was moving the tank.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have used it for under water applications, put on around 2-3 years ago to one spot, still holding strong. I even sealed a hole in my 1000 gallon stock tank with it, around 1.5 feet down. That is still holding, that was three years ago. I put a hole in it with my backhoes teeth when I was moving the tank.

It may work for patching a hole, it is a sealant, but a liner seam is subject to lateral stress and requires an adhesive formulated for that type of application. Flashing caulk is not that product, it is a sealant NOT an adhesive. The manufacturer will be the first to confirm this.

PL sealant.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have only used it for holes and also to attach the liner to my drain going into the bottom of the bog. I did use it to attach a piece of liner along an edge, under water, but not deep in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They do sell seaming tape how good it is I would have no clue .Eric used it also for his bottom drains a for those tpr's he put in the sides of the pond but screws also hold them on .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ive read the pc11 is a good adhesive not sure about for seeming though, I have used the seam tape and as long as you can get both liners completely flat it does work, I didn't use the primer cause I wasn't aware their was primer but I defy know now it is worth it and not because of that seam but I prepped the liners with alot of elbow grease and acetone or alcohol, the primer cuts out all that and it is similar to the primer for plumbing which might also work but probably not a good idea if its going under the water. Biggest thing is letting it set up, do not put those liners any where near water for a few days if you can, and keep as much weight on them until your ready to put them in the water, also I have read that getting the single sided tape and putting that over the top layer is going to help the seam alot better you have a double line of protection

Ask a Question