Attacks in the water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi pond forum,
I am in need of your advice. Is suspect that 1 of my goldfish has been attacked by a water monitor. And so how do I protect my fishes from further attacks? I already have a stock figurine that I move from time to time to simulate life and I also visit my pond everyday. I am very disturbed that this incident occurred. Please do help me.

Regards,
Alpravinosh

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi pond forum,
I am in need of your advice. Is suspect that 1 of my goldfish has been attacked by a water monitor. And so how do I protect my fishes from further attacks? I already have a stock figurine that I move from time to time to simulate life and I also visit my pond everyday. I am very disturbed that this incident occurred. Please do help me.

Regards,
Alpravinosh

Since Water Monitors are a specie native to the Asian tropics, the Westerners on this forum, self included, will have had no experience in dealing with this carnivore.
I would immediately suggest netting, but I am not sure that even that would be strong enough to deter a large hungry lizard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I consulted some of the local fish keepers over here and they tell me there is no real deterrent for water monitors. Most of them rare large dogs like Alsatians which are trained to kill them. By the way, Faebinder a water monitor is a large lizard that eats almost anything in its part. It has sharp teeth and powerful claws. It usually lurks near pond and rivers. Thanks everyone.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow. And I thought trying to protect my pond from herons was bad. You can keep your water monitors Alpravinosh!
Would a spray of water scare one off? If so, you could use a motion activated scarecrow. I tried using it with the herons, but I kept forgetting about it and kept getting sprayed. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I am not sure if that spray of water will work as water monitors are quite comfortable with water. Thanks by the way and wish me luck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I googled them, Komodo dragons popped up. Hope yours is not as big as that. Are there many in your area?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well I am not sure if that spray of water will work as water monitors are quite comfortable with water. Thanks by the way and wish me luck.
@Alpravinosh good buddy I think you need to erect a barrier of some sort between the monitors and the pond with an outwards facing lip so they cannot get over it , then may be electrify the Monitors not to kill but to stop them from climbing between the current and the overhang that should halt them

Since Water Monitors are a specie native to the Asian tropics, the Westerners on this forum, self included, will have had no experience in dealing with this carnivore.
I would immediately suggest netting, but I am not sure that even that would be strong enough to deter a large hungry lizard.

Meyer I have a feeling they would make short work of any netting and will most probably climb it

Reaction score
Can a water monitor hear high pitched sounds? There are devices that can be put in the ground that put out a high pitched sound every 5-10 seconds. Its supposed to scare away garden pest like rabbits & deer. It is solar powered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Alpravinosh good buddy I think you need to erect a barrier of some sort between the monitors and the pond with an outwards facing lip so they cannot get over it , then may be electrify the Monitors not to kill but to stop them from climbing between the current and the overhang that should halt them
Dave.. the thing is.. the water monitors can climb... high!!! but the electric fence might be an idea...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello everyone thank you all so much for the great input. But I apologize for not responding any sooner. I would definitely need to construct a barrier for the pond. But it is rather scary yo have an electric fence. Many people suggest to rare a large guard dog, such as a German Shepard. I am not sure what I am going to do. The goldfish on the other hand has been pretty beaten up and she is on her back but still breathing. I do not know what to do to heal her. Thank you.

Ask a Question