Attempting to help is sometimes not wise

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Attempted to help a neighbor get her busted water heater replaced by recommending two quality plumbing companies. She thanked me for my help. Later learned both companies gave her quotes. Both were rejected. While I assumed she wanted licensed quality products and service she actually wanted a bottom of the barrel cheap job. This nice lady will wind up with a unlicensed jack of all trades guy in a wreck of a truck installing a junk hot water heater. Found out she thought the total for equipment and service would be no more than $75.00! After several past 'attempts to help' I will not be so eager in the futer to give recommendations. To make my encounter worst a male visitor cleaning up water in the subject ladies garage just had to spout the wisdom "You rich white folk can afford fancy things.". I said nothing else and politely said goodbye. We are neither rich nor fancy. Cathy and I simply are doing what is necessary to ensure our home lasts till our days are done. We strive to make wise decisions based on quality, longevity of product & service and of course what has to be paid for such. I must confess that I am getting tired of our race being thrown back at us. We treat ALL of our neighbors equally. Sorry for the rant.

Lesson learned by me.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Cathy and I simply are doing what is necessary to ensure our home lasts till our days are done. We strive to make wise decisions based on quality, longevity of product & service and of course what has to be paid for such.

If only more people would apply this 'nugget' of wisdom when they build their ponds.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lou you can offer your help, it is up to the person to decide if they want to accept it or not. At least you tried

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hey Big Lou, you did what you could to get your neighbor quality help. I'm a licensed plumber here in KY. I have seen the results from people that think replacing water heater is the same fixing a faucet. You're dealing with a heated vessel under pressure, that in the rare event that something would happen, would be very catastrophic for the homeowner. And if something were to happen that was the result of an improperly installed/not inspected water heater, the homeowners insurance company is not going to cover any damages. I think I'm reading you right when I say that most of us pay for our own way in life, and we don't expect everything to be given to us by the government. And one last thing just to pick on you some, if the water were already hot, we wouldn't need a HOT water heater hehe. I guess it's a plumber joke, but they are water heaters, not hot water heaters. That's the joke part, get it? Maybe the butt crack jokes are funnier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As soon as I hit reply I had the thought, maybe I could make a topic, but if anyone here ever needs any advice about their plumbing or how to help, I will be happy to help you out. I know that there's forums out there for plumbing help but if you want to keep things in the family here, I can help

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep Lou you did your best to be a good neighbor. That's all one can do and it's up to her to decide to get a good job or a bad one. Maybe the guy who was there cleaning up can take a jab at installing it himself.............then she might have to have all kinds of work done to her home after that o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sadly its a fact that in this day and age people have to use cowboys as we call them in the UK to instal things they know the risks involved but either by penny pinching or simply because they cant afford it they have to use these guys .
Here in the UK they have in place things to clamp down on this sort of thing and anyone caught installing heaters etc without all the relivant qualifications to do so will end up haveing his day in court .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lou,

I sympathise, I know I've been there and experienced similar rebuttals. All I know is that a generous spirit, helping one another without thought of repayment or reward is a mark of our humanity. I think I'd be less of a human being if I walked by on the other side and chose not to help. I've been very grateful for the assistance I've been given in the past, sometimes by complete strangers, and will always do what I can to help a person in trouble if I can.

Chris

Ask a Question