Attic storage solutions.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As with many homes, our attic is just that -- an attic. It contains that nasty pink fluffy stuff [insulation], a myriad of wires, pipes, furnace, and duct work. Over the years we've nailed down some flooring just so we could USE the space for storage, but we have 2 cathedral ceilings in the house and those take out any usable space. Oh, and it's a single story house, so no "walk-in" entryways -- just a couple of pull-downs. And here in the south, no basements.

I've been Googling, looking for answers, but GEESH, even the attics they show have more space than we appear to. It makes me think that we need to completely empty the attic and start over. Or HIRE someone to do it. We need more vertical space, too.

What kinds of solutions have you guys seen or done to maximize usable attic storage space?

PS -- I don't mean that we need the attic to function as a room with nice lighting, climate control, shelving.... No, just the old rafters is fine -- just the bare bones, but organized.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally made the decision last year to get rid of everything in the attic (made my hubby very happy, me not so much) We needed/wanted to get whole house insulation and since that meant having to clean out the attic I decided not to put anything back up there. Mind you it was twenty plus years of stuff and some of it was hard to part with but for the most part I kept telling myself I hadn't used it or even seen it in the last several years and that equaled not needing it anymore. It was getting to be a pain pulling the rickety old stairs down and having to climb up there and having to be bent over because the ceiling isn't high enough to stand up straight. Just decided that none of the stuff was worth the effort anymore...is that bad? I guess what I'm trying to say is I would try and find another way to store stuff and skip the whole attic thing.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I put up two sheds a couple years ago, one for the once a year stuff, X-mas Halloween decorations and such. The other for recreational equipment. Now going to the shed is one of the most hated tasks in the home. Sometimes give up on finding items I think are in there, but at least they're not in the house.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
PURGE! That is what we have been doing since we are heat house bound, I am picking one room at a time and tossing, most going to charity, all good usable stuff (junk) that we have not used for many many years....................called GONE! and it feels so good!

The only thing I don't purge are tools

Reaction score
It's so hard to throw things away but it does feel good! What I like to do is add up what I think things are worth. Then I ask myself... self why are you saving those 43 plastic cd cases that are worth, maybe, at most, under ideal conditions at a garage sale that I will sit at all day long $4.00. Since I don't have a GOOD answer I toss them. The same with everything.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's so hard to throw things away but it does feel good! What I like to do is add up what I think things are worth. Then I ask myself... self why are you saving those 43 plastic cd cases that are worth, maybe, at most, under ideal conditions at a garage sale that I will sit at all day long $4.00. Since I don't have a GOOD answer I toss them. The same with everything.
We just had our HVAC system re-done, which meant a good bit of stuff came out of the attic to make room for the work. It's amazing how many plastic storage containers I have saved over the years, LOL! And Hubby saves every box that any piece of electronic equipment come in. Not sure why..... So, there are empty computer keyboard boxes, stereo equipment boxes, speaker boxes, you name it.

The sad part is that all that stuff I've squirreled away, thinking I'll use again, and not wanting to get rid of "because it would cost a fortune to replace," is forgotten about once it's up there. So I end up spending even MORE money buying "it" all over again. Or, when it does come time to pull something out to use, it ends up no longer fitting our current needs since design and technologies change so much these days.

But on a positive note, I have a friend [a teacher] who is starting a new job and starting a new "discoveries-type" program with her 4th & 5th graders. I took pics of stuff [mostly storage related at this point] to see if it's something she can use. She was super excited! And she's also looking for new & used toys, electronics, craft supplies....... Guess what I'm going to be finding a good home for instead of adding to the landfill!!!!! I think I'm as excited as she is.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Throw stuff away and build shelves. If all you have is a floor then the majority of the space is being wasted.
In my web searches, I came across this idea which looks like it would work with our attic. And most of what's up there is holiday decorations and other light-wt stuff. I like that you can use vertical space, but without having boxes piled on top of each other.
image.jpeg

And I like this idea for setting down the flooring -- no nailing or screwing!
image.jpeg

And then there is the hanging system, which I like more for garage storage, but it does get stuff out of the way.
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
My company makes software for the closet & storage industry. I have customers all over the place and could connect you with someone who could design and install a professional solution for you, if you'd like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No attic here, but we do have a basement. We used to habitually say "just put it in the basement" if we couldn't decide what to do with something. Finally realized that was just a wayside on the road to the trash. So we purged it all. Donated a bunch to a local church that does a rummage sale every year, donated all the old sports equipment, made the grown kids come and deal with their boxes of stuff that they had stashed when they left home, trashed a bunch, and only kept the stuff we actually need, like holiday decorations and a few kids toys that we are keeping for the grandkids. My husband used to insist we keep all those boxes, too @Mmathis - a habit he picked up from his own father. When his dad died and we had to clean out his house, husband realized how futile it was. If you need to return something, you just take it back to the store, box or no, they don't care. So lots of cardboard added to the recycle bin! Now cleaning the basement just means sweeping the floor and getting rid of a few cobwebs - so much nicer!

If you've ever had to clean out a house after a parent or relative dies, you may appreciate what I'm about to say - do your family a favor and deal with your own junk! If it's important, make sure you catalog it or mark it or deal with it in a way that says "I HAVE VALUE"! Don't force your family to sort through your collection of junk mail looking for important paperwork... it's really not fair. And do it before you get too old to deal with it yourself. I promised my kids when I am ready for the final exit, everything I own will fit in a suitcase!

I do like those storage solutions for the things that you need/want to keep - lots of creative ideas out there!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And that Marie Kondo woman is kind of a nut, in my opinion. Any woman who suggests you come home every day and empty your purse and put all the contents in their own special place has too much time on her hands. She also doesn't have a husband and kids to deal with. Her organizational suggestions don't ever mention your husband's desk or the kid's playroom or the garage or... well, you get my point!

Ask a Question