Baby fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a or 7b
Country
United States
So I've had some baby fish in my filter for awhile now. How big do they need to be so the other fish won't eat them? I have comments and Koi 2 that are almost a foot long.
I really need to clean the filter so they kind of need to come out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a or 7b
Country
United States
My filter is half a wine barrel with a plastic liner. It decorative and functional.
Water is pumped into the bottom, up through a few layers of matting, I have mesh bags of lava rocks on top of the matting. Then out the top side of the filter and drops back into the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
uil need to place them in seprate container or aquarium ,best is to make portion in pond from mosquito net, feed them algae from walls , ithink for 2 to 3 months until they r around 3 inch , shubunkins can not eat them after 2 weeks but koi will.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My koi don't eat fry, they only eat the eggs....once hatched, they're not interested. Could be other creatures in a pond that eat koi, but not my adult koi.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I wish my fish would've eaten some of the young, kinda overstocked and still have some bite sized fish swimming in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I would move them to a separate container with the same pond water as Mmathis said. Clean your filter and then put them back. My babies venture out when they are about an inch long. My goldies do not bother them. Dont know about koi though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My koi don't eat fry, they only eat the eggs....once hatched, they're not interested. Could be other creatures in a pond that eat koi, but not my adult koi.

We have just noticed a gazillion little fish in our pond. We have about 18 ranging from 4" to 12" we bought but where all these guys have come from I have no idea. Some are so tiny they are barely visible and some are an inch or two???
And, the koi do not seem to be eating them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have just noticed a gazillion little fish in our pond. We have about 18 ranging from 4" to 12" we bought but where all these guys have come from I have no idea. Some are so tiny they are barely visible and some are an inch or two???
Do you have plants? I would guess that yours have reproduced, and the eggs/fry were hiding in the roots. Or, they hitchhiked in on new plants. Sure they're fish..... Don't laugh but I have gotten excited over fry that turned out to be tadpoles. And once, found some in a holding tank that turned out to be mosquito larvae. Well, you can laugh if you want to. I did (can't believe I was that dumb!).

Take some pictures, then you can follow their growth.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If we need to have the "where babies come from" talk... LOL
I don't know what kind of fish you had/have but I started out with 4 fish in August and by October I think I had over 20.
I keep trying to find out who is piping Barry White into the pond but whatever.
I finally stopped feeding them and that seems to have slowed the baby roll a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If we need to have the "where babies come from" talk... LOL
I don't know what kind of fish you had/have but I started out with 4 fish in August and by October I think I had over 20.
I keep trying to find out who is piping Barry White into the pond but whatever.
I finally stopped feeding them and that seems to have slowed the baby roll a bit.
Yuck yuck! 20160830_170020.jpg

Attachments

• 20160830_170021.jpg
    20160830_170021.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 191
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do you have plants? I would guess that yours have reproduced, and the eggs/fry were hiding in the roots. Or, they hitchhiked in on new plants. Sure they're fish..... Don't laugh but I have gotten excited over fry that turned out to be tadpoles. And once, found some in a holding tank that turned out to be mosquito larvae. Well, you can laugh if you want to. I did (can't believe I was that dumb!).

Take some pictures, then you can follow their growth.
Posted a couple of pics..sure look like fish! Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh some are, barely visible. That's the part I don't understand, we've only had the pond about 6 was! We have ever size there is I think!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I put 2 dozen feeder Goldfish in the pond, supposedly until we got some "good fish" and the population has stabilized around 200! they even survived the move to a new pond at a new house. If I ever get my water quality up to snuff, I might order a couple dozen peanut koi to throw into the mix

Ask a Question