Baby koi bumps or spots?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys! Here's my little buddy, he's got like bumps/bubbles? Or kinda like spots I'm not very sure how to explain it, but from reading and being completely new I'm guessing it's got what they call "ick" ? Here's some pics, I have him in a 10gal tank right now since its all I could afford,any ideas what it might be and what I can do to help the little one?

Attachments

• IMG_20160527_191345469.jpg
    IMG_20160527_191345469.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_20160527_191348790.jpg
    IMG_20160527_191348790.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 355

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you are referring to the white spots toward the tail, those are his scales. It looks like you might have what some call German scaled koi, the scales are all different sizes. Ick is very small white spots usually on the gills.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are referring to the white spots toward the tail, those are his scales. It looks like you might have what some call German scaled koi, the scales are all different sizes. Ick is very small white spots usually on the gills.

The things that kinda look like bubbles, I didn't know those were his scales. He was acting very sluggish and I saw those spots so I took it as he had something?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't see any ich spots in the picture (of course that doesn't mean they aren't there) ich normally will looks like salt sprinkled on the fish. They may also have clamped fins.

What is your water like?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I see the spot you are reffering to,that's not a scale. I don't know if it's ich either and the spots can be anywhere on a fish not just the gills. Keep an eye on him,look for flashing hitting itself off objects,heavy breathing and just a look of uneasiness.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't see any ich spots in the picture (of course that doesn't mean they aren't there) ich normally will looks like salt sprinkled on the fish. They may also have clamped fins.

What is your water like?
Yeah I don't see any of the ick type spots on him at all, it's just those weird looking things on his body that look like bubbles :(

The water is clear and all the other fish were fine in the pond including the other koi, but as of now he's in a clean tank

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see the spot you are reffering to,that's not a scale. I don't know if it's ich either and the spots can be anywhere on a fish not just the gills. Keep an eye on him,look for flashing hitting itself off objects,heavy breathing and just a look of uneasiness.
Hes in a tank at the moment, and he hasn't acted like he's in distress any, he sits under the filter when I'm around but when I walk away he starts to move around, but I watched him and he dosent run into the sides if the tank or anything, it's just those spots that you see that look like bubbles, I can't find anything about em, except what mrsclem said about the scales

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Put your hand into the tank tyler and if your hand comes away covered in tny little bubbles then he has gass bubble disease
The things that kinda look like bubbles, I didn't know those were his scales. He was acting very sluggish and I saw those spots so I took it as he had something?

Doitsu koi have large scales Tyler [unless you have a no scaled Doitsu commonly refaired too as a leather}, thats if your talking about them being bubbles koi if your talking about them as your bubbles, as I cant see any spots on this koi , However a 10 gallon US tank isnt the right enviroment for a koi , when are you transfering it to your pond ?

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
Put your hand into the tank tyler and if your hand comes away covered in tny little bubbles then he has gass bubble disease

Doitsu koi have large scales Tyler [unless you have a no scaled Doitsu commonly refaired too as a leather}, thats if your talking about them being bubbles koi if your talking about them as your bubbles, as I cant see any spots on this koi , However a 10 gallon US tank isnt the right enviroment for a koi , when are you transfering it to your pond ?

Dave

Hi Dave, no bubbles when I took my hand away from him, They must be his scales, that's what I was referring to, I didn't know if that was normal or not since I haven't owned koi before, I'm only was planning to have him in the tank for a couple weeks till he got a little bigger since he was getting bullied by the other goldfish in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave, no bubbles when I took my hand away from him, They must be his scales, that's what I was referring to, I didn't know if that was normal or not since I haven't owned koi before, I'm only was planning to have him in the tank for a couple weeks till he got a little bigger since he was getting bullied by the other goldfish in the pond

Hi Tyler
Our largest koi is now 29 - 30 " in length and has been with us for 30 years this year, its a Doitsu the same as yours however you made a newbie mistake when buying yours I'm afraid .
How ever I will try to eplain the "Doitsu koi".
A good Doitsu [German scaled] should have even uniformed sized scales either side of the koi's lateral line or no scales in the [leather or no scaled Doitsu] apart from even sized "small scales" on either side of the fishs dosal fin.
Confused as it gets worse because there are 12 classes of koi and the Doitsu's also fits into many of them so you could have saya for instance taking just two of the classes i;e the "Sanke" or "Showa" now this would be its title if it was covered all over in small scales but if the koi has either large Doitsu uniformed scales or is the leather or no scaled Doitsu then you must prefix sanke or showa etc with doitsu making them instead a "Doitsu Sanke" or "Doitsu Show" and so on through many of the 12 classes of koi .

Dave .

Ask a Question