"Bacterial Bloom" -- do ponds go through this, too?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious.....

My newly set-up, partially cycled tank is going through this stage right now, and that made me wonder if the same thing happens in the pond environment when it's all trying to get "balanced."

We know about algae bloom, but what about bacterial bloom?

Reaction score
Essentially if you give algae or bacteria more food and proper growing conditions it will "bloom". Or another way of saying bloom is that it will multiply rapidly. Of course a bacteria bloom won't be as visible as an algae bloom, all you may notice is everything in the pond tends to be more slimy.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
For the most part EVERY body of water that has life in it no matter what type will go through a cycle, or as some call it a bacteria bloom. This all a part of the natural cycle it take for water to break down waste. Doesn't matter if it's a tub, an aquarium, a pond, a sewer tank, all still go through the same process.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Essentially if you give algae or bacteria more food and proper growing conditions it will "bloom". Or another way of saying bloom is that it will multiply rapidly. Of course a bacteria bloom won't be as visible as an algae bloom, all you may notice is everything in the pond tends to be more slimy.

Yep, extra slimy or the water turns a sort of foggy white brown.

Bah, DoubbleTap beat me to it.

Ask a Question