Bare Root Water Lilies....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I seem to recall that a couple of members were going to experiment with growing their lilies bare root.

I know it's early in the season for some of you [though here in Louisiana, it already feels like SUMMER!], but just wanted to check in and see what stage this was in and if there was any progress.....

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have mine bare root and pulled 10 baskets last week, repotted and have 25 cuttings left over. Worked good for me

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Haven't done mine yet. MC do you just tie them in the baskets and then put a rock to hold the baskets down?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I pulled my baskets years ago because I didn't like the look of them. I stuck the tubers under a couple of rocks and I've never looked back. They're all prolific and vigorous bloomers, even though I've never fertilized them.

Reaction score
Just to confirm what I am reading here. You took your lilies out of the pots, just basically made a 'pot' out of a few rocks and its all going great?

I'm not sure of the type I have, they send up a flower that is higher than the water, they open during the day and close at night.

Reaction score
I really want to try this. BUT I had to buy these two off the back of a truck (if you know what I mean). There were none for sale on island. I found a park that had some, and 'a guy' told me to meet him with cash in the parking lot and suddenly I had two ......

I was hoping to have some baby plants, but none yet. Any idea how the baby plants come to be?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had to buy these two off the back of a truck (if you know what I mean). I found a park that had some, and 'a guy' told me to meet him with cash in the parking lot and suddenly I had two ......

Who knew ponding was so dirty in the Cayman Islands?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
By "baby" plants, are you referring to water lilies? If so, after a couple of years you can just cut the tubers in half, and voila.......two.

As to your nefarious, under-the-radar means of obtaining things that you require, just remember.....hum "Amazing Grace" during the actual act, and your conscience will be clear. I, for one, wouldn't ever rat you out (a small fee applies, of course).

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is just too easy................all these years of fooling w/ the soil and having to rip the roots out of gravel, kitty litter or dirt to keep them under control,reaching down into the water trying to get the little fert tabs to stay down in the soil,dumping the pots accidentally, getting in and cleaning it all up and I could have just been relaxing in a hammock, sipping a drinkie while they just laid there w/ a rock on them growing and blooming like crazy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was hoping to have some baby plants, but none yet. Any idea how the baby plants come to be?

For the "hardies," I think you have to divide them every few years in order to get new plants.

My ONLY experience with "tropicals" was with a plant that actually did make little baby plants!! Right on the leaves!! I was just amazed at this! Do they ALL do this?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, I've heard enough about this that I'm convinced! I think I'm going water lily diving [in the pond] tomorrow! I hate having to mess with the pots [like JW just said]. Can it really be that easy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Some waterlilies will do that, fast growing, fast spreading varieties. They tend to be very cheap and given away. They also have very poor bloom to pad ratio's.

Hybridisers have since Marliacs time gone to some lengths to create hybrids which have better blooms, bloom to pad ratios, better behaved spreading habits.

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Ask a Question