Best advice to give someone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I'm new here. I've read a lot of posts though, and I've learned a lot.

I have a small, spur of the moment pond I put in Memorial Day weekend. I love it! I was going to upgrade to a larger pond with waterfall, and bog this fall, but I know now that I don't know enough to do it right. I'm hoping next spring, or early summer to be able to build what I'd like. I still need to learn more about plumbing, and filtration, and sneak down to Frederick and steal Addy's tractor.

What is the best advice you got from someone for your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
One thing you could do in your favour would be to fit a bottom drain

Dave

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
! I was going to upgrade to a larger pond with waterfall, and bog this fall, but I know now that I don't know enough to do it right. I'm hoping next spring, or early summer to be able to build what I'd like. I still need to learn more about plumbing, and filtration, and sneak down to Frederick and steal Addy's tractor.

One thing I learned about ponding is that everything appears more difficult than it is. I'll probably feel differently once something catastrophic happens. :LOL:

Check out the bog topic created by addy if you haven't already. The information on it is what I based my own bog on, and so far so good! Even if my bog only lasts a few years it was more than worth it. My pond has been so clear all year. I'd also recommend, if possible, learn everything you need to know now and through winter, so as soon as it warms up you can get out there and get it finished in time for the real nice weather to arrive!

and yes, I too would've liked to steal her tractor! :ROFLMAO:

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with TM, I had an idea of what I wanted but I did a ton of reading, both on forums like this and internet searches and was able to narrow down what I wanted. When I was ready I then asked a ton of questions on this forum. I chose this forum after deciding that I didn't want Koi and liked that there was a wide variety of knowledge and experience as well as a variety in the type of ponders here since I feel I get a good mix of reviews when you ask questions. In the end, I made decisions based on what worked for me and what I liked which was usually a combination of all the suggestions offered.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with TM, I had an idea of what I wanted but I did a ton of reading, both on forums like this and internet searches and was able to narrow down what I wanted. When I was ready I then asked a ton of questions on this forum. I chose this forum after deciding that I didn't want Koi and liked that there was a wide variety of knowledge and experience as well as a variety in the type of ponders here since I feel I get a good mix of reviews when you ask questions. In the end, I made decisions based on what worked for me and what I liked which was usually a combination of all the suggestions offered.
.....and I'm still reading and asking questions......

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, and let me add this! Don't go by what you read on any one source -- consult multiple sites for multiple opinions/explanations! There are lots of ways to do things, and in most cases there isn't a right or wrong way, just a "different" way. Learn WHY one person did this or that, when another person did that or this. And for some reason, one technique might work 100% of the time for person "A," but it never works for anyone else -- there are so many different variables at play.

But when it comes to water quality and fish health, you really need to know the science behind what makes a pond tick. Again, you're gonna find lots of different ways that people take care of their ponds [IOW, different filter set-ups, etc.], but success or failure is going to depend on how healthy your water quality is -- so learn about the nitrogen cycle, pond fish loads, the things that can go wrong [and why they go wrong], and how to "fix" the problem. And learn to be patient!!!! The biggest problem we see here is folks who don't know about ammonia, pH, etc. They assume that "clear & clean" water means healthy water -- WRONG!! They dig a pond, they overstock their ponds, and under-filter them. Then, after-the-fact, they come here, tell us that all their fish died, and ask us how to "fix" it. Which it's good that they do ask for help, but unfortunately, a large percentage of "those" folks end up arguing with us, then we never hear from them again.

So...... 1) learn about the nitrogen cycle, 2) get a liquid pond test kit [not strips] that tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH, and GH at the minimum [some, you will have to get as a separate test], and 3) learn about quarantining new [or sick] fish! Quarantine [AKA QT] is a pain, but is necessary.

Ask a Question