Best online vendors for kits?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey everyone! I'm planning my first pond and I really think I'd like to go with a kit. I know I could get stuff separately, but I am a total novice and like the idea of having a bunch of stuff pre-selected to work together -- with all the instructions about how to put it together.

I want a waterfall (one with filter pads or bioballs), liner and underlayment, fish-safe skimmer, pump, plumbing stuff, etc. I can buy waterfall foam and such separately. I've looked at The Pond Digger (free shipping from California) and Webb's Water Gardens. Do any of you have any favorite (and reasonable) sellers you like to use?

The Pond Digger is a little more expensive than Webb's, or rather, they don't have a lot of the smaller and cheaper options Webb's does. I'm sure their stuff is worth it. I had emailed them with a question a while back and the person sent me an email later, asking if I had any more questions about anything. TPD folks are very "into" pond building and are enthusiastic about helping. I like that a lot!

However, I would like to know of some other good options, if anyone has a suggestion!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Customer service is worth quite a bit. Having them offer advice on the products they sell does show a dedication to the trade. It would probably be pretty expensive to have to return ship a pond kit. But in the end, I'd probably buy off e-bay or Amazon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm with you and did exactly that, bought a kit. After pricing all of the parts separately I found that a kit was going to cost less and I didn't have to buy stuff here and there (the shipping on the liner alone was going to be $$$$). I went with a kit that worked for my place and needs from http://watergarden.com. Shipped quick (free!) and worked like a charm.

Do your research! This worked for me but it my not work for your needs! Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Interesting findings here: I found a kit that is for an 8 x 10 pond for 800.00, but the liner is smaller than I want for the depth I want (and I want extra.) The kits that include a 15 x 20 lining are around 1500.00. (They also include stuff I don't need or want, like underwater lighting.)
However, if I order the 800 dollar kit AND order another 15 x 20 lining and underlayment, I can get all that for 1,100.00 -- including shipping. Then I would just have to unload the smaller liner and underlayment on Craig's list or something.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Interesting findings here: I found a kit that is for an 8 x 10 pond for 800.00, but the liner is smaller than I want for the depth I want (and I want extra.) The kits that include a 15 x 20 lining are around 1500.00. (They also include stuff I don't need or want, like underwater lighting.)
However, if I order the 800 dollar kit AND order another 15 x 20 lining and underlayment, I can get all that for 1,100.00 -- including shipping. Then I would just have to unload the smaller liner and underlayment on Craig's list or something.
No need to buy a 2nd underlayment, just buy enough to make up the difference (220 s.f. or less). The underlayment is not in one piece and you'll be patching it together regardless

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@bagsmom When I first started doing my research...... Boy, was I ever confused! I ended up getting my equipment piece-meal once I decided on a DIY filter set-up. I don't know if I saved any money in the long-run, but I had fun doing the research and "shopping" [until that, too, got too confusing....]. And I didn't have to worry about paying for something I wasn't going to use.

But whatever you do, don't skimp on your liner!! That's where most of your money needs to go. Get the best quality, thickest you can afford (kit or no kit), and get more than you think you will need, plus a little extra. I know you know that already, but I wanted to remind you.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes -- that will be my philosophy for sure. I want lots of extra -- that's why I'm thinking a 15 x 20 for an 8 x 11 pond. And everything I've read says absolutely 45 mil EPDM and nothing less.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes -- that will be my philosophy for sure. I want lots of extra -- that's why I'm thinking a 15 x 20 for an 8 x 11 pond. And everything I've read says absolutely 45 mil EPDM and nothing less.
You never know when you'll need to do this or that renovation along the way, so don't cut off your extra, either!

Ask a Question