betta pictures and an impressive bubble nest

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to share pics of a couple of my bettas. I found a pretty impressive bubble nest in this tank and I had to share. Please excuse the scratches on the tank (it belonged to my niece but ended up here)

130.JPG
135.JPG
132.JPG
133.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Stunning Nest and Bettas Maria , I could see them doing well at an aquatic show , are there any plans for breeding them to betta females as of yet ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well thank you Dave :)

No time for showing anything (I used to show horses so I know the time and money it takes) these are just my pets. I don't see myself breeding fish in the near future anyway. But who knows, maybe some day when I'm retired and have more time on my hands ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
BEEEEEEEEEEautiful! I have a soft spot for Bettas -- rescued one from a coworker a few years back and kept him alive in my office for another 3 years. He (Ron Burgundy) was my success story. Since then, i've had 2 more but they didn't last long (1 year for one and 3 months for the other). The latest (3 monther) I rescued from one of those dumb glass vase getups... set him up in a nice 10 gallon tank with good filtration and lots of plants and he was doing GREAT! Then, woke up one sad Sunday and he was dead. Water tests were all good, but PH was a bit on the low side. I am at a loss, and kinda scared to try again.

So, now I have a lovely, overgrown 10 gallon planted tank with way too many snails.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Well thank you Dave :)

No time for showing anything (I used to show horses so I know the time and money it takes) these are just my pets. I don't see myself breeding fish in the near future anyway. But who knows, maybe some day when I'm retired and have more time on my hands ;)
When I was stationed in Virginia I worked part time just for fun at a pet store and there was a lady that would bring in tons of bettas every now and then. She had a small preformed pond outside and would just dump in a handful of females and a couple of males and let them do their thing. Lots of stunning colors too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Was that the Naval Airstation side of things Aircraft Carrier Berths USS Nimitz ?
If so visited on four seperate occaisions in my Naval carrier days as a youmg main nack in the 70-80's HMS ArK Royal my Fist carrier and then my Second HMS Bullwark.
Ah they were fun days , I really enjoyed visiting ...

58806_10151354838542681_543735436_n.jpg

HMS ARK ROYAL. -1976- Deployment alongside The USS NIMITZ

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Was that the Naval Airstation side of things Aircraft Carrier Berths USS Nimitz ?
If so visited on four seperate occaisions in my Naval carrier days as a youmg main nack in the 70-80's HMS ArK Royal my Fist carrier and then my Second HMS Bullwark.
Ah they were fun days , I really enjoyed visiting ...

View attachment 83131
HMS ARK ROYAL. -1976- Deployment alongside The USS NIMITZ

Dave
Nice! Yeah, I was in aviation, mechanic. Spent many a day floating thought. I was on 4 different carriers in my time, 3 of them were Nimitz Class. '93-'03

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice! Yeah, I was in aviation, mechanic. Spent many a day floating thought. I was on 4 different carriers in my time, 3 of them were Nimitz Class. '93-'03
We termed anyone who worked with aicraft with a cheerful but micky taking knick name of WAFU's always last on and first off the ship sometimes before he gangways were even secured [true]....
I was a TAS APE or Sonar man equivulent to your Petty officer 1st class sadly the days of the large british aircraft carriers wained for the smaller through deck cruiser carriers but hopefully we will see llarger ones in the HMS QUEEN ELISABETH class of Carrier and the HMS PRINCE CHARLES hoever there has nevr bnot been an HMS ARK ROYAL in the navy so we old carrier ratings are pettioning the MOD to get things changed .
May I ask which others you where on ?
Nice talking to a fellow carrier Rating :happy:

Dave .

Reaction score
Country
United States
BEEEEEEEEEEautiful! I have a soft spot for Bettas -- rescued one from a coworker a few years back and kept him alive in my office for another 3 years. He (Ron Burgundy) was my success story. Since then, i've had 2 more but they didn't last long (1 year for one and 3 months for the other). The latest (3 monther) I rescued from one of those dumb glass vase getups... set him up in a nice 10 gallon tank with good filtration and lots of plants and he was doing GREAT! Then, woke up one sad Sunday and he was dead. Water tests were all good, but PH was a bit on the low side. I am at a loss, and kinda scared to try again.

So, now I have a lovely, overgrown 10 gallon planted tank with way too many snails.

In general bettas are a pretty hardy fish. I have had some of mine live 3 to 4 years but others only a year or two. I know it sounds funny but I have had better luck with my bettas kept in indivdual smaller tanks than the ones I put in larger filtered tanks. Not really sure why..........What kind of filter do you have on the ten gallon tank?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
What kind of filter do you have on the ten gallon tank?
The tank was one of those kits from the big box store -- the filter hangs off the back and has charcoal cartridges and a biowheel -- I want to say it's something like 85 gph maybe? The flow back in seemed like it was generating quite a current, so I also added a sponge at the "waterfall" which seemed to calm things down. I added an additional light bar because of the plants, there's a gravel bottom, heater, etc.

Now, the tank is an overgrown, planted mess because all my free time is spent outside working on the big aquarium, so it is nice to not have to worry about water changes since it's fishless, but I miss having someone greet me when I walk in the door, lol.

I tell myself that the fish already had a tough go of things (when I got him, he was down at the bottom of the vase, wouldn't eat, barely swam, etc. It was all uphill from there once I put him in the tank (yes -- free fish turned in to $100 investment) until that fateful sunday. Maybe I killed him with kindness? =/

Reaction score
Country
United States
@michey1st Why not go for it and give a betta a home? :D They like living and swimming among the over grown plants. I think it gives them a sense of security. Plus this way you will have someone to greet you when you walk in the room :cool:

Sounds like your set up is good. I like that you modified the filter to slow it down. I was actually going to suggest that or to use a sponge filter.

Ask a Question