JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I went up to the Milwaukee lakefront this past weekend to do some bird watching by the marina. This time of year, they're flying around everywhere. All kinds, too. Most are US birds but a few are from other parts of the world too, including a flock that just came over from France this year and is expected to fly back to france before the year is over and will likely not return, at least not any time soon.

This is where I was bird watching from:
IMG_2119 copy.jpg

First, I saw these majestic fire birds, commonly known as Firebirds Xtreme.
IMG_2125 copy.jpg

IMG_2208 copy.jpg
IMG_2247 copy.jpg

After that, this huge flock flew in from over the city. It's not the time of year for migration, so I was surprised to see such a large flock on the move. They seemed confused on where they were going, sometimes going in circles.
IMG_2187 copy.jpg

IMG_2196 copy.jpg

It's possible they were trying to escape something, because shortly after that, a noisy raptor flew over. It was pretty quick and I only got a few decent photos before it flew away.
IMG_2137 copy.jpg

IMG_2148 copy.jpg

While it was soaring high over the shore, another bird met up with it. I was thrilled to see two of my favorite birds in the same sky, at the same time.
IMG_2156 copy.jpg

IMG_2155 copy.jpg

A little while later, the flock from France flew over. It's a rare sight, a first for me, as they've never been documented in the US before, and it's only a matter of time before they fly back home.
IMG_2253 copy.jpg

IMG_2256 copy.jpg

IMG_2261 copy.jpg

IMG_2269 copy.jpg

IMG_2290 copy.jpg

note the bird droppings:
IMG_2292 copy1.jpg

Lastly, a much more commonly seen US bird flew over, a Thunderbird. Actually, an entire flock of Thunderbirds.
IMG_2323 copy.jpg

IMG_2359 copy.jpg

IMG_2327 copy.jpg

IMG_2344 copy.jpg

I tried birdwatching last year as well, but fog rolled in over Lake Michigan and no birds were flying, so this was the first time I've gone bird watching in three years and I was excited to go, and had a great time! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hehe that really caught me by surprise when I scrolled down past your first photo! :D

What a fantastic display! @Ian (my husband) studied aerospace engineering at university, and my dad used to work at EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) until he retired, so I find myself surrounded by aircraft buffs. It's been ages since we've been to an air show though, we were hoping we might have been able to go and see the Vulcan again before it is retired, but haven't been able to go. Great photos! (y)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Glad you guys liked my "bird watching" post! :D
I also took short videos of the birds in their habitat. I'll add them to the topic in a few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, you got some great footage there! You have a very steady hand considering how far zoomed in you are too (y)

Ask a Question