Black Koi at Petsmart

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was at Petsmart yesterday getting dog food (and of course had to look at the fish) I noticed they had black koi for sale (which they had listed seperate from the other koi) I dont recall ever seeing them before.

Im curious about it as I thought the black koi were actually a mix of a koi and a goldfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have two mostly black koi and one mostly black with some orange. At first I was annoyed by them - they're pond born and I thought "oh great. Two more fish THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE!!" But as they got bigger, they actually started to grow on me (ha!). They're our stealth koi. And the Japanese say you should always have one black koi in a pond to absorb all the bad luck - or something like that!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lisa, That's funny about being annoyed at first and then growing on you.

I'm going to have to look up the Japanese luck thing.

mrsclem, the black with white fins sounds beautiful. Do you have a photo?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Definitely cool looking. I lost the other black koi I bought with this one when she jumped out of the pond during a spawn. Turned out she was a bronze chagoi as well. I was really hoping for a crow- pure black koi. Oh well-

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Matia like LisaK1 and mrsclem we have a black koi in our pond, you hardly until the sun hits it see it but there is this large black presence that suddenly appears at feeding time to snatch a mouthfull of food before diving down again into the deep
We love them they are really cool whhen the sunlight is on them they take on the clour of black velvet .
They can also be used as an early warning system to pick up on any early parasite attacks, why because they start to take on a milky hue

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
The ones at PetSmart are Malaysian Black Koi. I got one last year, and she is AMAZING!!! She has remained such a deep, solid black, and looks almost like dark blue velvet in the water. It is said to be good luck to have one black koi in your pond. Not just for "luck," but they are a great first indicator of any fungus/bacteria/disease, which often present as white spots on fish. You'll notice anything right away on a black fish, but by the time you notice on other fish it may be too late!! I have no trouble viewing and enjoying my solid black fish (I guess it depends on your pond and lighting situation). She has grown beautifully over the past year! Here are some good photos of her:

BBF1.jpeg
BBF2.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks for the pictures and the info C-Note :)

I have to admit there is something about the black fish that I like, yours looks great!

Love your buddha statue, he looks so happy sitting and watching over your koi :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I have a black shubunkin goldfish (pond born). I can almost never see it. I wouldn't purposely buy an all-black fish for a pond after my experience with this one. I certainly won't be getting rid of this one, since it's an established fish in my pond... But I wouldn't go out of my way to get another one either. The black fish blends in too much and makes for a boring viewing experience. YMMV though, of course!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great looking fish c-note. And great looking water.

Ask a Question