addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you get a fitting for the pvc, reducer or larger, to slip into the sump pump hose, then use a good ss hose clamp to clamp it on. I would also use some of the pl roof goop between the hose and pvc fitting.
That should give you a good water tight fitting. Also you won't have a lot of pressure on it with the slits cut into the pvc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I did the exact same thing, JB. Here are some pics of what you will need, or how I did it anyhow. Maybe this will help you know what to ask for. Otherwise, like Addy said, you just need to tell them in the plumbing department you need to go from whatever size PVC to whatever size sump pump hose. :) You can see there is a small collar that fits into the PVC, and then reduces to a screw on piece of gray pipe that fits the sump pump hose.
Plumbing glued together.JPG

Attachments

• Plumbing parts for bog.JPG
    Plumbing parts for bog.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 227

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I bought a few of the pieces today, I think I've officially decided to do the bog. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well we got started on the bog after building up the area for it. Just one question though...how wide could the water flowing from the bog to the waterfall be? The bog is 4 1/2' wide and 7' in length with a depth of oh 14" maybe a bit deeper, but I did level it out as best as I could with the filled in dirt. There will be more dirt placed around the sides to tier it so it doesn't wash out. Man I hope it doesn't rain tonight/tomorrow until I get that done! I used up 1/2 of the 5.5 tons of dirt I had brought in already just building up the bog site (see my dirt hauler she's as old as I am :O ).
Now I have thought of putting in a bottom drain, but not to sure about that as I may just leave this run during our cold winter months. Tomorrow were putting in T-posts in the openings of the cement blocks to keep them in place so when I'm messing around with planting I'm not moving the blocks. It's that or / and putting cement into the holes too so they dont move on me.
I'd like to have a wide opening for the waterfall, but would like thoughts on that please.

Attachments

• P4052438.JPG
    P4052438.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 297
  • P4052439.JPG
    P4052439.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 335
  • P4052440.JPG
    P4052440.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 327
  • P4052441.JPG
    P4052441.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 291
  • P4052433.JPG
    P4052433.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 330

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like your dirt hauler! My water fall rock is almost 3 feet wide, two feet long. You can make it whatever size you want to.

I shut mine off during the winter, it freezes up the plants do fine, the pipes are all open so they don't freeze up, tons of slits in them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Looking good. Just be sure take some time sealing up around the edges and back of the water fall rock and making sure the liner overlap slopes towards the pond with no way of getting out.

Shortly after starting mine up, I thought I was good, until I came out the next morning to find my pond only 1/2 full. It was seeping out the back of the water fall rock and onto the overlaped liner, but managed to find that spot that allowed it to miss the pond and go into the ground.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I have done the same, now I make sure liner is under things, sloped towards pond, double triple check when I first turn things on for wetness where it does not belong.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I wonder if I could just use the pond hose (corragated pond tubing) under the gravel for the container bog.

I'm making this little container bog that the water come up from the bottom and I dont have much space on the bottom of the container to put a pipe in (its a round planter). I think to just put the hose in there and poke some holes in the hose and put the gravel on top. It'll be about 8 inches of gravel only, shouldnt crush the hose, right? I'm hoping to coil the hose in circle on the bottom of the container.

I dont really worry about the intake leaking as the container will sit in the pond, the water will flow up and come out like a water fall from all side of the container. But I think i'll at least put some silicone around it (the hole where the hose goes in the container)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The opening to the waterfall/pond is about 3 ft wide. This bog is 4 1/2' x 7' and I have a liner that is 14 x 21 to work with. I'll leave the old liner piece (the one in the pictures laying flipped over towards the pond) under the new liner on the waterfall part. I think I'll have the block for the falls lean by about an 1/8th to a 1/4 of an inch forward like the first flat surface on the water fall does.Thinking I will just cement the blocks together to keep them from moving. I still need to berm up the sides towards the fall. Want to work on the manifold today, and of course I just got called into work at 4:30 this afternoon...better get myself to working on the pond! It might rain this afternoon and I want to get more dirt work done before that happens too!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lots of dirt moved in to build up the south side of the pond with a retaining wall. I'm 3/4 of the way thru the 5.5 tons I got!

Attachments

• P4042431.JPG
    P4042431.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 268

Ask a Question