addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No not at all, no mosquitoes, see a few water bugs, in the bird bathing areas, I make sure there is water there for them. Any water in the bog is constantly moving.

Did see a few fry one time, no clue how they got there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't see why not, with that you are mainly removing the large debris. The bog plants are just happier without a bio filter in front of them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a separate pump for the stream, clear water pump to handle the head pressure, we keep it on a timer.

The only pond pump goes right to the bog. I use a external pump. We, when done, will have a skimmer and pond plumbed to the pump, with ball valves to direct flow the way we want it to go, either full skimmer, full pond or split. Still need to cut the weir for the skimmer, on our list lol

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
My bog and pond are in full sun, the bog has a tiny bit of shade mid day from the maple tree, but it is a brief shade.

There are shade loving bog plants that will do just as well. Hosta's etc. I stick with sun loving plants. With our slope (facing south, full hot sun) the angle of our house south, we have no real shade areas. So everything must be a sun lover.

I need to get that article fishin...............next time I wander into town.

This site has info about shade loving pond plants: http://aggie-horticu...wers/lily2.html

I was fortunate to see Addy's pond set up and it was super. Beautiful crystal clear water and everything growing wonderfully. Really a winning set up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, after having the bog really up and running for the summer, we do have some shade north of the maple tree. I am going to look for some shade loving bog plants.

in looking at the site, I already have a bunch that don't mind shade, need to do some moving around of the plants lol

pond maven

Deede
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, after having the bog really up and running for the summer, we do have some shade north of the maple tree. I am going to look for some shade loving bog plants.

in looking at the site, I already have a bunch that don't mind shade, need to do some moving around of the plants lol

Yeah Chris, our stream is in shade and I was pleased to read that some of those plants I got from you are good for shade. They are doing great. They really like it here :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah Chris, our stream is in shade and I was pleased to read that some of those plants I got from you are good for shade. They are doing great. They really like it here :)

so glad to hear that! Anytime you need more or different ones let me know, have some getting ready to bloom right now, need to figure out what they are.............lol

I have kept track of what I planted, but lost track of where............lmao

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The hyacinth is blooming! So pretty. Gonna try hosta in pots in the stream. Got so many I can afford to lose a few.

Great so glad the hyacinths did good for you, the pond bundle you saw are all blooming now. Hostas are supposed to do ok in the bog, I have a small one that has been doing fine in my bog, a test hosta.

Reaction score
Hey Addy I'm thinking a video of how to do this would be super lol--

You need to lay out the pvc piping. I use 2 inch below my pea gravel.You can use 1.5 inch pvc if you wish, do not go smaller.This size is to keep the piping from clogging up.

Once you know the lengths you need, the distribution pipe needs to be perforated.We cut ours approximately every 6 inches, due to the size of our bog, we wanted to make sure the water made it to the end of the pipe.

Cut about every 1 to 1.5 inches apart the length of the pipe. If you have a long pipe run make the cuts further apart.Use a circular saw to cut 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through the pipe perpendicular to the water flow.If your bog is only 3 feet in width you can get away with just one distribution pipe, wider you should use two.

Lay your pipe in the bog.I laid mine slits down, so whenever I turned the pump off pea gravel would not be able settle in the piping.But I did lay extra liner under the pvc the length of the pipes to protect the liner from the continuous water flow. You could also lay the pvc with the cuts up.

At the end of your pipe run, put in a clean out pipe.

Paint the cap sticking above pea gravel brown to make it less noticeable.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sigh, I don't really do talking videos, but I could try and do a short video and post it. Showing a mini bog build.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love my bog. Addy helped me make it all possible. I used my old preform pond, about 100 gallons. I had a small barrel I used for a bog before the preform. Bogs are great for filtration. Mine has been up and running all Summer. My pump is in the pond. I have had so many compliments on it. And of course .... I want a bigger one ... lol Thanks Addy !!!

Ask a Question