Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
woops wrong pic here is the dirt work so far. My problem is I have to build up around the whole bog since my ground slopes downward through out the whole backyard. Challenges...

Attachments

• P4062447.JPG
    P4062447.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 260

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
make sure you are tamping the dirt well, i.e. wet it, drive on or stomp on to pack it well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
we tamped the dirt directly under the block work and have been stomping on the dirt around it. I know it's going to settle more anyway, Thanks addy! I have until 5:30 today to work on it as I have to get to work then...my nails/hands are sure taking it in the shorts on this add on lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had to build a 8 foot or so dirt berm to get my land level enough for the bog. Even though I drove the tractor on it while building it did settle, not much, but enough to allow a small leak, which was easy to fix. So just watch a lot, esp after rain, winter etc. The hard rain we had, like 3 inches in hours, caused some of the settling.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is unreal how quickly you can use up dirt and rocks. My bog has around 2800 lbs of pea gravel if I am remembering right. 1/2 a huge truck load.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Rebel, I cannot believe you moved all that dirt with your trusty LITTLE red wagon! OMG, I have a huge wheelbarrow, and it seems to take me forever. Of course, heavy stuff like dirt and rock only gets partially filled but still. I think a wheelbarrow is easier to move than your wagon. Mine has 2 wheels in front instead of one, which keeps it more stable, but harder to turn corners. Hates it at first, now like it, especially for heavy loads. Your project looks wonderful, so nice to watch it progress.

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Just read through this entire thread today (I have an insane amount of free time at work ;)) Great read and now I'm thinking about how I can get a bog started in my pond. Ideas are flowing, thanks guys!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
haha Aaron, bog is addictive :) I just added 2 more container bogs in my pond, and I hardly have any room in my pond! (small pond)

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a small wooden frame that I plan on making into a deck to hide my skimmer (it will have easy access to the skimmer) I'm thinking of building a small bog (2X6 1 foot deep) along one edge of the deck and may go with a peat bog on the other side for some fly traps and pitcher plants. Just something to help tie the deck in with the pond.

Reaction score
Well, the "bigger, better" bug has bit me. We're in the process of creating a proper, although still small, pond and accompanying bog. We started to dig the pond yesterday, and I hope we will get to digging the bog today.

I've read through this thread again, and think I have the design figured out. My one nagging question is about the pea gravel and the spillway. I'm worried that the gravel is going to flow into the pond. I read about sloping the inside of the bog to keep the gravel in...is this sufficient, or do I need to do something else?

The guy who is helping me build this has built ponds, but never a bog, so I'm kind of winging this...lol.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pea gravel won't move, mine is the about 1/4 inch below the water fall stone, it just sits there. I have a pretty good flow going over the edge. The slightest difference in height will keep any gravel in. Before I had the stone in none flowed over the edge.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a pea gravel questions as well @addy1.

It seems our store changed pea gravel providers and instead of pea-sized round pebbles, they now sell "pea gravel" that is the size of cat litter and more jagged than round. I was wondering if that would be an issue as far as getting sucked up into the pvc, whereas the old pea gravel wouldn't have been an issue. If it is an issue I'll have to look at different stores in the area and see what I can find, at least for the bottom few inches of the bog.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
JB how is it going to get sucked up into the pvc? If it is the size of cat liter that is very small and I would look elsewhere. Check home depot or lowes I have seen it there.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought most of mine from a stone, gravel, supply. A few bags from home depot, the pea gravel in the nursery area looks like what I have just a slightly different color. They also carry pea gravel/gravel in the construction area, that seems to have finer stones. Lowes carries it too.

Ask a Question