Bog building, also called upflow filter, eco filter, wetland filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The best part about a box over your pump is if it tends to get too clogged with debris, you can remove it, move the pump, do all sorts of things to make it work for you. Keep in mind different times of the year will have different amounts and types of debris to possibly clog the pump. I seldom have to clean my pump, which sits ON a milk crate box like you pictures, so not on the bottom of the pond where leaves, etc. collect. I think in 3 years, I have pulled the pump to fully clean it just twice. You will figure out what works best for you. Just remember to plumb your pump so you can easily pull it if necessary, and not hard pipes that you have to literally go underwater to disconnect. I know that sounds crazy, but that's how they did my sister's pond in AZ. :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah, I built the box to go ever the pump so that it would act as a large debris filter. I found when I pulled my pump up the intake was sometimes a little clogged with algae so the box is to catch all that so it doesn't overly stress my pump. I did put the pump up on a few bricks inside the box as well. And wow, why would you plumb a pond like that? I hope she was able to fix it easily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I will be or at least I hope i will be building a bog in the spring. Will 20 mil PVC liner work for the bog.? One of the big box store here has a 14x21 liner for $102.00. I figure at that price, if I don't get it built I won't be breaking the bank, the kitchen remodel has done that already.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since you don't really walk on it, just fill it with gravel, as long as you don't get aggressive with digging out plants i.e. pitchfork or shovel, the 20 liner would work great. I would make sure to cover the edge well so the sun does not speed up rotting of the exposed liner.

Nice size liner for the price.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. Hope it is still there, I don't think too many folks think about building a pond this time of the year.
Just cause snow is going to fall, ground is going to freeze, I mean what is the issue?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
The liner was still there and now it is in my garage, YAY! A friend is heading to northern wisconsin fishing this weekend and they are calling for snow flurries up there, BOO! I am so NOT looking forward to winter.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why was winter so much fun when we were, ummm, a tad bit younger than we are now?

laughing cause we did not have to go to work, school got cancelled, parents took care of snow removal................and we did not need to drive in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So while I'm not completely new to ponds (my parents have had one at each of our homes over the years), I am finally building one at my own house. It will probably be about 8' x 20' or so and have a waterfall/stream coming into it. I love the idea of a bog more for the look and types of plants vs. the filtration aspects. I have a pressurized filter already ordered for filtration. I was wondering though if I could setup a bog as the "delta" of the waterfall/river that enters the main pond. Or would too much water be flowing through there? My other thought is to do an edge bog around the outer ring, but I don't want to install another pump to feed it, so it would be at the mercy of water movement from the filter pump, etc. Just trying to come up with a hybrid bog that fits into my plans.

Ask a Question